- Debut Hawaii win for Jordy Smith
- Blitzboks skipper calls for improvement on home soil
- Runaway Test win for South Africa in India
- Olympian Stone pounces at Leopard Creek
- SA team extend lead in Indian Test
- Blitzboks blast past Kiwis to reach Dubai semi-finals
- Van Niekerk pays tribute to triumphant Bolt
- Banyana dominate but go down to Ghana in playoff
- Blitzboks bag three wins in Dubai
- International honours for Olympic coach Barrow
Van Zyl, Olivier home after early track success
- Updated: May 23, 2014
By Mark Etheridge
Two of our leading track athletes and near certs for Commonwealth Games selection later this year, are back in South Africa after early season success.
Hurdler LJ van Zyl and Andre Olivier, both 2012 Olympians on Team SA, took part in the IAAF Diamond League action, Van Zyl in Dubai and Olivier in both Dubai and China.
Says Van Zyl, who dipped under 49sec in the 400m hurdles event with his 48.97 clocking: “It just feels so good to be running well again. Now I’m enjoying our wonderful sport all over again.
“Shanghai was a great race for me, even though I only finished fourth.
“It was just the way I ran my race that made me excited and encouraged.”
Next up for Van Zyl are three races in June. “On the eighth I’m running Hengelo, on the 11th its Oslo and then the 14th in New York, all Diamond League events and I’m really looking forward to them.”
Also on his way back to SA was Olivier who ran 1:44:86 in China after a 1:45.39 in Dubai.
“I’ve only now back in touch after lack of communication in China. I’m happy with both my races and getting sub 1:45 is always good.
“Now its back to Potchefstroom, where I’ll stick to basics and then go to Europe again to run in Rome, Hengelo and Ostrava.”