- Opening round of 70 puts Williams in front
- Big medal haul for SA at Junior Commonwealth Games
- Successful comeback from injury as Anel grabs fourth
- Dednam duo win 10th SA doubles title
- Corbett leads the way as SA tally grows to 35
- Caster, Wayde up for Athletes of the Year award
- Seven more golds for SA at African Championships
- Muizenberg hosts SA’s first Adapative Championships
- SA duo seal silver medals at African Championships
- Harris on the rise after two Futures wins
Van Zyl, Olivier home after early track success
- Updated: May 23, 2014
By Mark Etheridge
Two of our leading track athletes and near certs for Commonwealth Games selection later this year, are back in South Africa after early season success.
Hurdler LJ van Zyl and Andre Olivier, both 2012 Olympians on Team SA, took part in the IAAF Diamond League action, Van Zyl in Dubai and Olivier in both Dubai and China.
Says Van Zyl, who dipped under 49sec in the 400m hurdles event with his 48.97 clocking: “It just feels so good to be running well again. Now I’m enjoying our wonderful sport all over again.
“Shanghai was a great race for me, even though I only finished fourth.
“It was just the way I ran my race that made me excited and encouraged.”
Next up for Van Zyl are three races in June. “On the eighth I’m running Hengelo, on the 11th its Oslo and then the 14th in New York, all Diamond League events and I’m really looking forward to them.”
Also on his way back to SA was Olivier who ran 1:44:86 in China after a 1:45.39 in Dubai.
“I’ve only now back in touch after lack of communication in China. I’m happy with both my races and getting sub 1:45 is always good.
“Now its back to Potchefstroom, where I’ll stick to basics and then go to Europe again to run in Rome, Hengelo and Ostrava.”