- No medals but SA cyclists put up good showing in Nottwil
- New boy Sweeney set on soaking up the experience in Russia
- SA water polo girls go down to Kiwis in Kazan
- Two golds and a bronze for SA at UCI para-cycling Worlds
- Van Tonder, Hattingh reach A-Finals at World Championships
- Three Diamond League podium places for SA athletes in Sweden
- SA water polo women put up brave fight against Greece
- SA off to solid start at UCI para-cycling road World Champs
- Coach Belen fine-tunes team for Africa qualifiers
- Nel looks to celebrate with a solid showing in Sweden
SA judoka take hold of their Youth Games challenge
- Updated: May 23, 2014
Our judoka get to grips with their African Youth Games challenge in Gaborone, Botswana on Saturday, writes Mark Etheridge.
Just four players form part of Team SA at the second version of these games and are coached/managed by Mark Desfountain.
“I think we can get at least two medals and maybe three,” said the KwaZulu-Natal based coach.
The judoka are: Christiaan Boshoff, William Redpath, Courtney Read and Unelle Snyman. The latter has also represented South Africa at┬á Under-17 level on the netball court.
“Unelle fought at the African Championships in Tunisa and should have got gold or silver.
“Courtney was a 2013 African champion and went to Tunisia for this year’s championships but was unplaced.
“Then Christiaan was fifth at last year’s African Championships but has moved up an age group this year.
“William was third in Algeria but also up an age category. He missed Tunisia because of a broken toe and had to rest.”
The judo competition gets underway on Saturday.