- SA netballers warm up against NZ A before Quad Series
- How Team SA fared on Sunday
- Team SA: The ‘awards’ review
- Rio delivered, despite the hurdles
- Team SA in action on Sunday
- Semenya scorches to Team SA’s 10th medal of the Games
- How Twitter reacted to Semenya GOLD
- President’s Voice – Gideon Sam
- How Team SA fared on Saturday
- Emotional SA duo dig deep to end 11th, 23rd in Rio triathlon
SA judoka take hold of their Youth Games challenge
- Updated: May 23, 2014
Our judoka get to grips with their African Youth Games challenge in Gaborone, Botswana on Saturday, writes Mark Etheridge.
Just four players form part of Team SA at the second version of these games and are coached/managed by Mark Desfountain.
“I think we can get at least two medals and maybe three,” said the KwaZulu-Natal based coach.
The judoka are: Christiaan Boshoff, William Redpath, Courtney Read and Unelle Snyman. The latter has also represented South Africa at┬á Under-17 level on the netball court.
“Unelle fought at the African Championships in Tunisa and should have got gold or silver.
“Courtney was a 2013 African champion and went to Tunisia for this year’s championships but was unplaced.
“Then Christiaan was fifth at last year’s African Championships but has moved up an age group this year.
“William was third in Algeria but also up an age category. He missed Tunisia because of a broken toe and had to rest.”
The judo competition gets underway on Saturday.