- Alkana blasts to hurdles gold at African Championships
- Semenya scorches to 1500m gold at African Championships
- Samu faces stern test defending SA Girls Champs title
- Grace is latest SA golfer to say no to Rio Olympics
- SA stars beat the odds to bring in more golden honours at African Championships
- Ace gymnast switches focus to new sport
- SA strike double gold on day one of African Championships in Durban
- SA trio end 21st at World Championships
- SA boats building up towards Rio with some hard racing in Poland
- International stars head for Polokwane
SA judoka take hold of their Youth Games challenge
- Updated: May 23, 2014
Our judoka get to grips with their African Youth Games challenge in Gaborone, Botswana on Saturday, writes Mark Etheridge.
Just four players form part of Team SA at the second version of these games and are coached/managed by Mark Desfountain.
“I think we can get at least two medals and maybe three,” said the KwaZulu-Natal based coach.
The judoka are: Christiaan Boshoff, William Redpath, Courtney Read and Unelle Snyman. The latter has also represented South Africa at┬á Under-17 level on the netball court.
“Unelle fought at the African Championships in Tunisa and should have got gold or silver.
“Courtney was a 2013 African champion and went to Tunisia for this year’s championships but was unplaced.
“Then Christiaan was fifth at last year’s African Championships but has moved up an age group this year.
“William was third in Algeria but also up an age category. He missed Tunisia because of a broken toe and had to rest.”
The judo competition gets underway on Saturday.