- Netball ace Barnard packs down for Lady Blitzboks
- SA hockey squad named for Cape Town tournament
- Girdlestone grabs victory in second stage of Tour de Boland
- Fischer flies to African Cup victory in Buffalo City
- Skipper Van Wyk on Banyana’s Cup chances
- Olympic athletics ace throws her lot in with SA sevens side
- Prinsloo battles injury, health issues in nationals build-up
- Amajimbos end as runners-up in Niger… now for World Champs in Chile
- Olympians Buys, Neethling on top in PE
- SA wheelchair tennis aces down Morocco
SA judoka take hold of their Youth Games challenge
- Updated: May 23, 2014
Our judoka get to grips with their African Youth Games challenge in Gaborone, Botswana on Saturday, writes Mark Etheridge.
Just four players form part of Team SA at the second version of these games and are coached/managed by Mark Desfountain.
“I think we can get at least two medals and maybe three,” said the KwaZulu-Natal based coach.
The judoka are: Christiaan Boshoff, William Redpath, Courtney Read and Unelle Snyman. The latter has also represented South Africa at┬á Under-17 level on the netball court.
“Unelle fought at the African Championships in Tunisa and should have got gold or silver.
“Courtney was a 2013 African champion and went to Tunisia for this year’s championships but was unplaced.
“Then Christiaan was fifth at last year’s African Championships but has moved up an age group this year.
“William was third in Algeria but also up an age category. He missed Tunisia because of a broken toe and had to rest.”
The judo competition gets underway on Saturday.