- Marathon superstars inspire SA communities
- Young judoka players out to grab Region 5 medals
- Key national MTB dates for 2015 season announced
- Watch this video to learn about the Unite4Mandela Challenge
- IOC unveils list of 40 new proposals
- Sanders upbeat about SA triathlon but says funding will be vital
- Sithole, Montjane set off for Wheelchair Masters
- SA fighters bring back three bronze medals from African Open
- Legote leads the way with personal best in Austria
- SA’s premier netball competition up for major honours
SA judoka take hold of their Youth Games challenge
- Updated: May 23, 2014
Our judoka get to grips with their African Youth Games challenge in Gaborone, Botswana on Saturday, writes Mark Etheridge.
Just four players form part of Team SA at the second version of these games and are coached/managed by Mark Desfountain.
“I think we can get at least two medals and maybe three,” said the KwaZulu-Natal based coach.
The judoka are: Christiaan Boshoff, William Redpath, Courtney Read and Unelle Snyman. The latter has also represented South Africa at┬á Under-17 level on the netball court.
“Unelle fought at the African Championships in Tunisa and should have got gold or silver.
“Courtney was a 2013 African champion and went to Tunisia for this year’s championships but was unplaced.
“Then Christiaan was fifth at last year’s African Championships but has moved up an age group this year.
“William was third in Algeria but also up an age category. He missed Tunisia because of a broken toe and had to rest.”
The judo competition gets underway on Saturday.