- Dusi contenders gear up at Gladwin Marathon
- Basson’s birdie blitz sees him leading at Leopard Creek
- SA men’s indoor side named to take on All Stars
- Legote takes fifth spot in Brazil meeting
- African cycling will mix it with the very best in 2016
- No place for Horne as Blitzbok side named for Dubai, Cape Town
- SA’s Olympic Games hopefuls jet off on qualifying mission
- Rising young stars join battle for Jackie Mercer Trophy
- Great results for McGregor and SA stars Down Under
- Wayde, Ashleigh are the big winners of 2015 SA Sports Awards
SA judoka take hold of their Youth Games challenge
- Updated: May 23, 2014
Our judoka get to grips with their African Youth Games challenge in Gaborone, Botswana on Saturday, writes Mark Etheridge.
Just four players form part of Team SA at the second version of these games and are coached/managed by Mark Desfountain.
“I think we can get at least two medals and maybe three,” said the KwaZulu-Natal based coach.
The judoka are: Christiaan Boshoff, William Redpath, Courtney Read and Unelle Snyman. The latter has also represented South Africa at┬á Under-17 level on the netball court.
“Unelle fought at the African Championships in Tunisa and should have got gold or silver.
“Courtney was a 2013 African champion and went to Tunisia for this year’s championships but was unplaced.
“Then Christiaan was fifth at last year’s African Championships but has moved up an age group this year.
“William was third in Algeria but also up an age category. He missed Tunisia because of a broken toe and had to rest.”
The judo competition gets underway on Saturday.