- Eight named to do Test duty against India
- Banetse has his eye on Umpetha Challenge podium
- Continental honours for Kimberley’s Fitzpatrick
- Harris home on a high after three victories on the trot
- Golden boy Hamman on the mend after surgery
- Hartley’s Dusi buildup gathers pace
- World’s top teams head for SA
- Sunshine Ladies Tour starts fourth season in January
- Weber wins SA’s final gold medal of African Champs
- Tough going in Tongyeong for SA’s Radford
Schoonees cleans up at badminton’s WP Under-19 Open
- Updated: May 14, 2014
National team captain, Anri Schoonees from Boland, dominated badminton’s Western Province Under-19 Open at the weekend, winning three out of three titles.
Young Carmen Haasbroek from Kimberley (still in the Under-15 ranks) impressed friend and foe with her all-round skills at the tournament played in Kenilworth, Cape Town.
This tournament was made all the more special with the participation of players from De La Bat School for the Deaf in Worcester, Boland.
Results of the finals were as follows:
Girls’ Singles: A Schoonees (Bol) bt M-L Vermaak (FS) 21-15 21-15
Boys’ Singles: K Beandt (WP) bt J-H Groeneveldt (Bol) 21-8 21-11
Girls’ doubles: A Schoonees/J Bailey bt M-L Vermaak/L Schoeman 21-15 21-15
Boys’ doubles: K Brandt/S Noone bt R Elliot/A Yaitses (all WP) 21-9 21-16
Mixed Doubles: A Schoonees/P Jacobs (Bol) bt K Brandt/J Bailey (WP) 21-12 12-21 21-16