- Klaasen bags a fourth ATP World Tour doubles title in the US
- Strauss hoping title defence will spark return to form
- Defending champ Venter makes his SA senior team debut
- Singh shoots Amajita to victory against Cameroon
- Pace bounces back with strong finish in Thailand
- Blitzboks take it easy before Las Vegas Sevens
- Maripa bags first title of the year in Bolton
- England wrap up Summer Series with 2-0 win against SA
- Five more Meet records at SA Grand Prix
- Fichardt nails 15th Sunshine Tour win at Joburg Open
Schoonees cleans up at badminton’s WP Under-19 Open
- Updated: May 14, 2014
National team captain, Anri Schoonees from Boland, dominated badminton’s Western Province Under-19 Open at the weekend, winning three out of three titles.
Young Carmen Haasbroek from Kimberley (still in the Under-15 ranks) impressed friend and foe with her all-round skills at the tournament played in Kenilworth, Cape Town.
This tournament was made all the more special with the participation of players from De La Bat School for the Deaf in Worcester, Boland.
Results of the finals were as follows:
Girls’ Singles: A Schoonees (Bol) bt M-L Vermaak (FS) 21-15 21-15
Boys’ Singles: K Beandt (WP) bt J-H Groeneveldt (Bol) 21-8 21-11
Girls’ doubles: A Schoonees/J Bailey bt M-L Vermaak/L Schoeman 21-15 21-15
Boys’ doubles: K Brandt/S Noone bt R Elliot/A Yaitses (all WP) 21-9 21-16
Mixed Doubles: A Schoonees/P Jacobs (Bol) bt K Brandt/J Bailey (WP) 21-12 12-21 21-16