- Stapleton flies flag for SA in India
- Judoka ready to get to grips for Team SA
- SA’s six Games boxers ready to take to the ring
- SA duo up for prestigious world awards
- SA youngsters aim for a repeat of 2014
- Health issues as South Africa play catch-up in India
- Team SA head off to Angola on Region 5 Games mission
- Mthembu puts SA back on podium… after 23 years!
- Reverse strategy puts Waschefort in front
- Debut Hawaii win for Jordy Smith
Schoonees cleans up at badminton’s WP Under-19 Open
- Updated: May 14, 2014
National team captain, Anri Schoonees from Boland, dominated badminton’s Western Province Under-19 Open at the weekend, winning three out of three titles.
Young Carmen Haasbroek from Kimberley (still in the Under-15 ranks) impressed friend and foe with her all-round skills at the tournament played in Kenilworth, Cape Town.
This tournament was made all the more special with the participation of players from De La Bat School for the Deaf in Worcester, Boland.
Results of the finals were as follows:
Girls’ Singles: A Schoonees (Bol) bt M-L Vermaak (FS) 21-15 21-15
Boys’ Singles: K Beandt (WP) bt J-H Groeneveldt (Bol) 21-8 21-11
Girls’ doubles: A Schoonees/J Bailey bt M-L Vermaak/L Schoeman 21-15 21-15
Boys’ doubles: K Brandt/S Noone bt R Elliot/A Yaitses (all WP) 21-9 21-16
Mixed Doubles: A Schoonees/P Jacobs (Bol) bt K Brandt/J Bailey (WP) 21-12 12-21 21-16