- Amajita fine-tune World Cup preparations in Netherlands
- Haig celebrates comeback with fourth IGT Tour victory
- Sixth-time lucky as Van Rensburg finally savours SA title
- Is mighty Manyonga the world’s first nine-metre man?
- Mistry tames the nerves to nail victory at Wanderers
- SA boys bring back Nations Cup gold from Czech Republic
- Van Dyk fourth and motivated after exciting mass finish in London
- Olympic rowers for Arnold Classic Africa
- Haig hits comeback trail with a vengeance at Killarney
- Mabulu grabs bronze, kata team wins three medals in Madagascar
Pauw names 26 ahead of Banyana’s Ghana clash
- Updated: May 13, 2014
As Banyana Banyana coach Vera Pauw goes in search of her first win for the national women’s soccer side, she has called up 26 players for an assessment camp.
This is ahead of Saturday’s international friendly match against Ghana at the Dobsonville Stadium in Soweto.
Banyana will face the Black Queens in a 3pm kick-off.
Pauw’s first game at the helm of the SASOL sponsored national side ended in a 2-2 draw against neighbours Zimbabwe last month.
ÔÇ£The upcoming international friendly against Ghana is important for preparations ahead of the upcoming African Women’s Championship qualifiers. We are in the process of building a formidable team and these international friendlies allow us to gauge ourselves against top African teams,ÔÇØ said Pauw
ÔÇ£We are also fortunate to have a partner in Sasol that is not only putting money into the partnership but shares our common vision in ensuring that Banyana Banyana become the top African women’s football playing nation and a contender in major international tournaments such as the FIFA Women’s World Cup as well as the Women’s Football Olympic Tournaments,ÔÇØ she added
Pauw said she will keep the current squad in camp intact as part of preparations for the match against Comoros.
The full squad:
Goalkeepers: Andile Dlamini, Thoko Mndaweni
Defenders: Nothando Vilakazi, Amanda Sister, Janine van Wyk, Leandra Smeda, Letago Madiba, Refiloe Jane, Lebogang Mabatle, Simphiwe Dludlu, Nelisiwe Mchunu, Tshepiso Mokabane, Mamello Makhabane
Midfielders: Amanda Dlamini, Gloria Thato, Momathemba Ntsibande, Sanah Mollo, Lebogang Ramelepe, Tina Selepe
Strikers: Shiwe Nongwanya, Silindile Ngubane, Ode Fulutudilu, Alocia Thoboka, Portia Modise, Noko Matlou, Veronica Phewa