- SA’s developing sailors to battle it out in historic regatta
- Triple boost for Dazel’s women’s sevens side
- SA stars on track for national championships
- Bezuidenhout, Smit off to flyer at Better Ball Challenge
- Thousands of women prepare for running Challenge
- SA’s team named to do Fed Cup duty in Lithuania
- Hawtrey’s passing a big loss for SA cycling
- Nienaber back with a bang, targets another Nomads title
- Seboko best of the bunch in uphill battle in Uganda
- Davids doubles up in Summer Series
Hayes ready to go at Brazil Open
- Updated: April 21, 2014
Our group of para-athletes and swimmers are safe and sound in Brazil ahead of their respective competitions this week, writes Mark Etheridge.
The group of 13 (11 athletes and two swimmers) will compete in the II Caixa Loterias Athletics and Swimming Open Championships in Sao Paulo.
Said multiple Paralympic sprint and long jump medallist Ilse Hayes: “We arrived safe in Sao Paulo last night. I’m really excited for the Brazil Open.
“I’m competing in the 100 and 200-metre. It has been a good season so far. I ran a personal best in the 100m at the Nedbank Champs at the end of March so I’m really excited to race this week.
“I feel very privileged to be here and to do what I love and also just want to say thanks to SASCOC for making all of this possible.”