- Weber wins SA’s final gold medal of African Champs
- Tough going in Tongyeong for SA’s Radford
- Double gold for Venter as SA medal count reaches 59
- Winning start for Ellis as Banyana beat Egypt
- Skhosana’s promise to take SA even further forward
- It’s 50 medals for SA at African Championships
- Top-ranked Williams does the double
- Championship records for Brown and relay team
- Gobel grabs share of the lead at Kyalami
- Interim coach Ellis looks to take Banyana even further
Pauw steps up Banyana’s preparation before Zim clash
- Updated: April 8, 2014
New Banyana Banyana coach Vera Pauw is happy to have a full complement of players in camp as they step up preparations ahead of their international friendly match against Zimbabwe in Dobsonville on Saturday afternoon.
Pauw has called up 31 players following the selection camp that took place two weeks ago as she looks to put together a strong squad for the CAF African Women’s Championships which are scheduled for Windhoek, Namibia in October.
USA based defender Jermaine Seoposenwe and midfielder Kylie-Ann Louw will however, not be part of the squad. The coach has in their place brought in Letago Madiba who plays for the Tshwane University of Technology Ladies side.
ÔÇ£This is our first official training following the selection camp two weeks ago. These players will form the core base of the squad consisting of about 25 players. But for the match against Zimbabwe, I will have to trim the squad to 18 players,” said Pauw.
ÔÇ£I am going to give every player a fair chance and am expecting to see stiff competition. A combination of new and old faces should provide a positive vibe in the team set-up,ÔÇØ said Pauw.
The Sasol-sponsored Banyana Banyana will play a practice match against the School of Excellence U-16 boys squad on Tuesday at Bedfordview FC training grounds.
ÔÇ£The encounter against the boys will provide me with a good assessment on areas which we need to work on. I have seen past footage of games against Zimbabwe; they are a good side and this will also be good preparation for the team that will play against Comoros in the African Women’s Championship qualifiers.
“We want to make huge steps in building the best possible squad for the Championships in October,ÔÇØ said Pauw.