- Buhai ends with a birdie to grab Glendower lead
- Amajita win warm-up match before U20 AFCON
- Levey ends 10-month drought to win at Randpark
- Porteous back to defend at Joburg Open after tough year
- Two more medals as SA finish with five in Egypt
- Mayo grabs his chance at SA Amateur Championship
- Nyambi soaking up the ins and outs of the golfing world
- Frechou out to end Harmse’s hammer reign
- Rain wins at Glendower and forces early Sunshine start
- Mokoena and Roto shine at home and abroad
Beckett crowned champion of the continent
- Updated: March 29, 2014
Kirsten Beckett’s rise on the international gymnastics scene continues to flourish, with her securing the title of Women’s Senior Artistic African Champion at the 12th African Gymnastics Championships in artistic and rhythmic gymnastics, currently underway in Tshwane.
Her Individual All-round performance saw her complete solid clean routines on all four apparatus, leading the pack with a total score of 53.80.
The silver medal went to fellow South African Bianca Mann with a score of 50.650, with bronze going to Egyptian Rowan Wageeh with 49.850.
Beckett now has the opportunity to further her gold medal tally on the weekend, with her scheduled to compete in all four apparatus finals.
In addition to Beckett’s Individual All-round gold, the South African team in the Senior Artistic Category also took home gold on the night. Fellow team members, namely Bianca Mann, Claudia Cummins, Alessandra Thompson and Angela Maguire with Kirsten, achieved a team score of 154.40.
Egypt came in second with a team score of 151.55, and Morocco with 126.25.
Gymnastics South Africa now has two 2014 Africa Champions and two team gold medals, in artistic and in rhythmic gymnastics, with Grace Legote and the senior rhythmic team also having won gold the previous night.
With the All-round categories now complete, the Championships move into the Apparatus Finals stage.