- It’s 50 medals for SA at African Championships
- Top-ranked Williams does the double
- Championship records for Brown and relay team
- Gobel grabs share of the lead at Kyalami
- Interim coach Ellis looks to take Banyana even further
- Opening round of 70 puts Williams in front
- Big medal haul for SA at Junior Commonwealth Games
- Successful comeback from injury as Anel grabs fourth
- Dednam duo win 10th SA doubles title
- Corbett leads the way as SA tally grows to 35
Olivier impresses with 1500m win in Sasolburg
- Updated: March 27, 2014
By Mark Etheridge
Our best placed finisher at the recent World Indoor Championships in Poland, 800-metre ace Andre Olivier moved up a distance this week as preparations for the year continued at pace.
The Potchefstroom athlete took part at a meeting in Sasolburg and opted for the 1500m event.
He covered the metric mile in 3min 42.68sec for a comfortable win.
“The pacemaker was supposed to go to 1000m in 2min 26sec but he ran 800m in 2min and pulled out,” Olivier told Road to Rio 2016.
“I then found myself in front but feeling good, I waited for the last 300m and was happy with a 41sec last 300m.
“For me it was good training for upcoming nationals where I’ll be running 800m of course.”
Commenting on his choice of the 1500m, Olivier said: “Well as a youth boy I ran 3:53 at World Youth championships, and I’ve got a PB of 3:39.40, but no I don’t run it often.
“But after Sopot I have been working a lot on my endurance, so 1500m was a good option. The body is feeling very strong and fit, so I’m very excited for European season.