- Amajita fine-tune World Cup preparations in Netherlands
- Haig celebrates comeback with fourth IGT Tour victory
- Sixth-time lucky as Van Rensburg finally savours SA title
- Is mighty Manyonga the world’s first nine-metre man?
- Mistry tames the nerves to nail victory at Wanderers
- SA boys bring back Nations Cup gold from Czech Republic
- Van Dyk fourth and motivated after exciting mass finish in London
- Olympic rowers for Arnold Classic Africa
- Haig hits comeback trail with a vengeance at Killarney
- Mabulu grabs bronze, kata team wins three medals in Madagascar
African team makes more cycling history
- Updated: March 27, 2014
It’s been officially announced that Team MTN-Qhubeka p/b Samsung will race the prestigious Ronde van Vlaanderen in Belgium.
After participating in the Milano-Sanremo and Il Lombardia last season and then being invited to Liege-Bastogne-Liege this year, the ‘Ronde’ is┬á now the fourth out of the five monuments in world cycling that Team MTN-Qhubeka p/b Samsung has been invited to.
The Tour of Flanders is arguably the most sought after victory of all the Belgian cobbled classics. It is a race steeped in tradition that also incorporates world famous cobbled climbs like Oude Kwaremont, Koppenberg and the Paterberg. There is even a museum dedicated to the history of the Ronde van Vlaanderen.
It is a victory in itself that Team MTN-Qhubeka p/b Samsung have been invited to such a prestigious race and the team will forever be in the history books as the first African Professional Pro-Continental Team to take part in the race.
Team Principal Douglas Ryder was grateful to recieve the invitation. ÔÇ£Tour of Flanders is the highlight of cycling in Flanders, it is an absolute honour for Team MTN-Qhubeka powered by Samsung to be on the start line in the heart of cycling. The race has everything from cobbles to climbs, wind and rain, only the strong survive this race to the end and we will be hoping that good fortune shines on us to be in the front at the end.ÔÇØ
The race takes place on 6 April and will be run over a distance of 259 kilometres and include 17 Hellingen climbs and six separate cobble sectors. Big name riders like Tom Boonen and Fabian Cancellara will again be favourites for the victory and Team MTN-Qhubeka p/b Samsung will relish the opportunity to be up against the best riders in the world.
Gerald Ciolek, our team captain already said earlier in the week that some of the goals he still has include a stage win in the Tour de France as well as victory at the Ronde van Vlaanderen. The inclusion of Team MTN-Qhubeka p/b Samsung at this year’s edition of the Ronde will give the German the chance to achieve one of those goals.