- Seboko best of the bunch in uphill battle in Uganda
- Davids doubles up in Summer Series
- Elkington eclipses opposition at Loch Ness
- Hurdler Steenkamp winding up for a big one
- Olympic champion’s Epic win, big-hearted women’s triumph
- SA runners in search of elusive medals in Kampala
- Davids does the job on day one of Summer Series
- SA’s Strauss and Knox nail down Epic podium places
- Freiburghaus doubles up at Randpark
- Olympic champ Schurter moves into Cape Epic lead
FITNESS JOINT HEALTH CLUB LAUNCHED AS A DISTRICT ACADEMY
- Updated: March 22, 2014
The South African Sports Confederation and Olympic Committee (SASCOC) unveiled the Fitness Joint Health Club owned by seasoned sports administrators Zola Dunywa and Kaya Majeke, as a fully-fledged district academy of sport on 22 March 2014, at Mdantsane City Mall, East London.
Fitness Joint Health Club is regarded as one of the most equipped facilities suitable to accommodate various sporting codes. These including swimming as it has a 25-metre heated pool. It also offers accessibility to people with disabilities as it has a lift that ferries them from one point to another.
A legacy programme has been introduced which will assist 10 schools with sports equipment so that they are able to participate in the following sporting codes: Basketball, Cricket, Soccer, Netball and┬áVolleyball. The 10 schools, identified through the Department of Education Sport and Culture, will benefit from this magnificent initiative through SASCOCs gesture to promote playing of sport by all.
Says SASCOC CEO, Tubby Reddy: The opening of this District Academy of Sport coincides with our celebration of a 20-year democracy. As SASCOC, we therefore encourage the community to make use of this facility and maintain the spirit that our late Tata Madiba instilled in us, which is that of unity. We look forward to the challenge ahead of us, of making sure that we contribute towards the talent-nurturing process within our country.
Partnerships have been forged with the Provincial Department of Sports and Recreation, Department of Sports and Recreation South Africa, SASCOC, Buffalo City, the Eastern Cape Metro, the Department of Education and the Provincial Sports Council to ensure the smooth running of this Academy.