- England wrap up Summer Series with 2-0 win against SA
- Five more Meet records at SA Grand Prix
- Fichardt nails 15th Sunshine Tour win at Joburg Open
- SA duo struggle at Tokyo Marathon
- Le Clos leads the way at SA Grand Prix in Stellenbosch
- SA women lead but go down to England in Summer Series
- Rain delay shortens Joburg Open still further
- SA’s Van Dyk in the Tokyo mix… chasing world record
- Fichardt finds his form at sodden Joburg Open
- Young Lamprecht makes history at Humewood
Beckett vaults to fifth spot in German competition
- Updated: March 16, 2014
Former Commonwealth Youth Games silver medallist Kirsten Beckett vaulted to more success in Germany on Saturday, writes Mark Etheridge.
The young gymnast, 18, who was a baton bearer at last month’s Queen’s Baton Relay in Gauteng, was competing in the 38th Turnier der Meister competition in Cottbus.
She ended the prelims in sixth spot on Thursday with a score of 13.550 and in Saturday’s vault┬á final improved on that.
“I had two good solid vaults and placed fifth overall with an average score of 14.000,” Becket told Road to Rio 2016.
This is only Beckett’s second year as a senior and she’s looking good for inclusion in Team South Africa at the Commonwealth Games in Glasgow, Scotland.
Beckett also competed in Sunday’s final day when she takes on the floor finals. None of the other seven SA gymnasts were able to make a final in Germany, and teammate Claudia Cummins wasn’t able to compete at all after injuring ankle ligaments in warm-up on Thursday.