- OJ Eagles, Western Warriors rule the Currie Cup roost
- Radebe hoping to realise Tokyo 2020 dream
- Continental track championships wrap up in style
- Young Guns rule the day at Cape Epic
- SA stars on track at continental championships
- ‘Technical session’ brings out the best in Van Rensburg
- Relay quartet speed to second fastest 4×100 time
- SA longboard trio go down in Papua New Guinea
- Sauser/Kulhavy’s win makes up ground at Cape Epic
- Third consecutive NYC Half victory for Van Dyk
Beckett vaults to fifth spot in German competition
- Updated: March 16, 2014
Former Commonwealth Youth Games silver medallist Kirsten Beckett vaulted to more success in Germany on Saturday, writes Mark Etheridge.
The young gymnast, 18, who was a baton bearer at last month’s Queen’s Baton Relay in Gauteng, was competing in the 38th Turnier der Meister competition in Cottbus.
She ended the prelims in sixth spot on Thursday with a score of 13.550 and in Saturday’s vault┬á final improved on that.
“I had two good solid vaults and placed fifth overall with an average score of 14.000,” Becket told Road to Rio 2016.
This is only Beckett’s second year as a senior and she’s looking good for inclusion in Team South Africa at the Commonwealth Games in Glasgow, Scotland.
Beckett also competed in Sunday’s final day when she takes on the floor finals. None of the other seven SA gymnasts were able to make a final in Germany, and teammate Claudia Cummins wasn’t able to compete at all after injuring ankle ligaments in warm-up on Thursday.