- Blitzboks bag three wins in Dubai
- International honours for Olympic coach Barrow
- Hall of Fame honours for SA legend Sally Little
- Blitzboks off to a great start with Ugandan whitewash
- Banyana going all out to bag bronze in Cameroon
- Powell opts for experience at Dubai Sevens
- First IGT Tour win for Arnoldi at Centurion
- SA wheelchair tennis rocked by tragedy
- Ace SA duo in series triumph Down Under
- Montjane ends season on a double high
SA tug-of-war team are best in the west!
- Updated: February 23, 2014
By Mark Etheridge
Our national women’s tug-of-war team has pulled all the stops out to secure their second bronze medal within the space of a year.
Last year it was the SA team who brought back bronze from the World Games in Cali, Colombia. And this weekend saw them grab the same colour medal at the World Indoor Championships in Ireland.
During the round-robin stages of the competition they beat Switzerland, Spain and England.
China won the gold medal after beating Chinese Taipei in the final.
“It was a thrilling final,” said SA team spokesman Lesley Carstens. “Afterwards, the Chinese coach congratulated our team to say that they had improved tremendously over the past few years.
“We were also officially heralded as the Best in the West, a wonderful acclamation from the other countries involved in this specialised sport.”
Not one European country ended in the top three ÔÇô indeed a pat on the back for South Africa’s progress, since not winning a single pull at the previous World Games in Taiwan back in 2009.
Sunday sees the team taking part in the 500kg division with just two changes being made to the team in order to weigh in correctly.
On Friday the team ended fourth in the club category of competition.