- Chad chasing down overall World Cup title
- South Africa take on Turkey in Davis Cup action
- SA trio in golden form in Tokyo World Cup
- Brand makes sure SA team stay in contention in Peru
- Pretorius and Co set records aplenty at nationals
- Lightfoot, Slattery power through in Portugal
- In-form Pace swings to her second title in 10 days
- February to the fore for SA in Peru
- Prinsloo and Di Matteo hit the spot for SA in Egypt
- SA netball side announced for Fast5 World Series
SA tug-of-war team are best in the west!
- Updated: February 23, 2014
By Mark Etheridge
Our national women’s tug-of-war team has pulled all the stops out to secure their second bronze medal within the space of a year.
Last year it was the SA team who brought back bronze from the World Games in Cali, Colombia. And this weekend saw them grab the same colour medal at the World Indoor Championships in Ireland.
During the round-robin stages of the competition they beat Switzerland, Spain and England.
China won the gold medal after beating Chinese Taipei in the final.
“It was a thrilling final,” said SA team spokesman Lesley Carstens. “Afterwards, the Chinese coach congratulated our team to say that they had improved tremendously over the past few years.
“We were also officially heralded as the Best in the West, a wonderful acclamation from the other countries involved in this specialised sport.”
Not one European country ended in the top three ÔÇô indeed a pat on the back for South Africa’s progress, since not winning a single pull at the previous World Games in Taiwan back in 2009.
Sunday sees the team taking part in the 500kg division with just two changes being made to the team in order to weigh in correctly.
On Friday the team ended fourth in the club category of competition.