- Le Roux changes age group in victorious fashion
- Newly-wed Buhai keen to get back into the swing of things
- More honours for Mona as she takes gold in Texas
- Bujela and Prinsloo make the running at Randpark
- South African yacht sails to third spot in Cape2Rio
- Banyana replacements named for France friendly
- Local caddie bags big bonus after Storm’s win
- Storm stays calm as he holds off McIlroy to win SA Open
- Productive camp for Banyana ahead of French clash
- Storm hits last round of SA Open with three-stroke lead
Gelant grabs second spot and a new SA indoor record
- Updated: February 5, 2014
Former World Indoors Championships finalist Elroy Gelant raced to second spot and a new national indoor record at the Meeting d’Athletisme de Mondeville in France at the weekend, writes Mark Etheridge.
Gelant blitzed to 7min 45.45sec in the 3000-metre event to end second behind Morocco’s Soufiyan Bouqantar who won in 7:44.87.
Making defeat that much easier to take for the Potchefstroom based athlete was the fact that Gelant’s time was a whole chunk off his own national indoor record.
That was the 7:48.64 that he ran at World Indoor Championships in Istanbul, Turkey two years ago. Gelant is trained by former SA cross-country champion Jean Verster.