- Debut Hawaii win for Jordy Smith
- Blitzboks skipper calls for improvement on home soil
- Runaway Test win for South Africa in India
- Olympian Stone pounces at Leopard Creek
- SA team extend lead in Indian Test
- Blitzboks blast past Kiwis to reach Dubai semi-finals
- Van Niekerk pays tribute to triumphant Bolt
- Banyana dominate but go down to Ghana in playoff
- Blitzboks bag three wins in Dubai
- International honours for Olympic coach Barrow
Gelant grabs second spot and a new SA indoor record
- Updated: February 5, 2014
Former World Indoors Championships finalist Elroy Gelant raced to second spot and a new national indoor record at the Meeting d’Athletisme de Mondeville in France at the weekend, writes Mark Etheridge.
Gelant blitzed to 7min 45.45sec in the 3000-metre event to end second behind Morocco’s Soufiyan Bouqantar who won in 7:44.87.
Making defeat that much easier to take for the Potchefstroom based athlete was the fact that Gelant’s time was a whole chunk off his own national indoor record.
That was the 7:48.64 that he ran at World Indoor Championships in Istanbul, Turkey two years ago. Gelant is trained by former SA cross-country champion Jean Verster.