- OJ Eagles, Western Warriors rule the Currie Cup roost
- Radebe hoping to realise Tokyo 2020 dream
- Continental track championships wrap up in style
- Young Guns rule the day at Cape Epic
- SA stars on track at continental championships
- ‘Technical session’ brings out the best in Van Rensburg
- Relay quartet speed to second fastest 4×100 time
- SA longboard trio go down in Papua New Guinea
- Sauser/Kulhavy’s win makes up ground at Cape Epic
- Third consecutive NYC Half victory for Van Dyk
Gelant grabs second spot and a new SA indoor record
- Updated: February 5, 2014
Former World Indoors Championships finalist Elroy Gelant raced to second spot and a new national indoor record at the Meeting d’Athletisme de Mondeville in France at the weekend, writes Mark Etheridge.
Gelant blitzed to 7min 45.45sec in the 3000-metre event to end second behind Morocco’s Soufiyan Bouqantar who won in 7:44.87.
Making defeat that much easier to take for the Potchefstroom based athlete was the fact that Gelant’s time was a whole chunk off his own national indoor record.
That was the 7:48.64 that he ran at World Indoor Championships in Istanbul, Turkey two years ago. Gelant is trained by former SA cross-country champion Jean Verster.