- Weber wins SA’s final gold medal of African Champs
- Tough going in Tongyeong for SA’s Radford
- Double gold for Venter as SA medal count reaches 59
- Winning start for Ellis as Banyana beat Egypt
- Skhosana’s promise to take SA even further forward
- It’s 50 medals for SA at African Championships
- Top-ranked Williams does the double
- Championship records for Brown and relay team
- Gobel grabs share of the lead at Kyalami
- Interim coach Ellis looks to take Banyana even further
Gelant grabs second spot and a new SA indoor record
- Updated: February 5, 2014
Former World Indoors Championships finalist Elroy Gelant raced to second spot and a new national indoor record at the Meeting d’Athletisme de Mondeville in France at the weekend, writes Mark Etheridge.
Gelant blitzed to 7min 45.45sec in the 3000-metre event to end second behind Morocco’s Soufiyan Bouqantar who won in 7:44.87.
Making defeat that much easier to take for the Potchefstroom based athlete was the fact that Gelant’s time was a whole chunk off his own national indoor record.
That was the 7:48.64 that he ran at World Indoor Championships in Istanbul, Turkey two years ago. Gelant is trained by former SA cross-country champion Jean Verster.