- More teams for reverse Test series against India
- Trim Hoffman looks to have what it takes to win in Durban
- Ngoepe is South Africa’s first Gift to the Major League!
- Amajita fine-tune World Cup preparations in Netherlands
- Haig celebrates comeback with fourth IGT Tour victory
- Sixth-time lucky as Van Rensburg finally savours SA title
- Is mighty Manyonga the world’s first nine-metre man?
- Mistry tames the nerves to nail victory at Wanderers
- SA boys bring back Nations Cup gold from Czech Republic
- Van Dyk fourth and motivated after exciting mass finish in London
Gelant grabs second spot and a new SA indoor record
- Updated: February 5, 2014
Former World Indoors Championships finalist Elroy Gelant raced to second spot and a new national indoor record at the Meeting d’Athletisme de Mondeville in France at the weekend, writes Mark Etheridge.
Gelant blitzed to 7min 45.45sec in the 3000-metre event to end second behind Morocco’s Soufiyan Bouqantar who won in 7:44.87.
Making defeat that much easier to take for the Potchefstroom based athlete was the fact that Gelant’s time was a whole chunk off his own national indoor record.
That was the 7:48.64 that he ran at World Indoor Championships in Istanbul, Turkey two years ago. Gelant is trained by former SA cross-country champion Jean Verster.