- Luvo leaps to another SA record at championships
- Defending champ Telfer well aware of junior threat
- McGuigan also equals course record at Zim Open
- Fisher fires course record 63 to lead by four in Harare
- Cele looking to do a job for Amajita at World Cup
- Simbine sets the pace with sub-10sec 100m victory
- Indigenous Games to be showcased at Arnold Classic Africa
- Olympian BMX ace Dodd in fine form at NAG series
- Banyana’s Mgcoyi picking up valuable skills in Germany
- Quick-starting Hugo holds one-shot lead in Harare
Queen’s Baton Relay heading for South Africa
- Updated: January 28, 2014
Tuesday marked 14 days before the Glasgow 2014 Queen’s Baton Relay (QBR) arrives in South Africa, the 18th and last African country to receive the QBR. The QBR will be arriving in South Africa on 10 February, 2014.
The QBR’s main aim is to enthrall and create an innovative platform to promote the Games in Glasgow and across the many Commonwealth countries. The four-day period during which the QBR will be in South Africa, will also create an opportunity to showcase the nation by travelling to landmarks with the Queen’s Baton.
The South African Sports Confederation and Olympic Committee’s (SASCOC) main themes are to assist in promoting the Commonwealth Games whilst showcasing the nation as a nation in the Commonwealth family.
The event will also highlight everyday life, cultural diversity, humanity and traditions in South Africa whilst involving as many people and communities as possible to be part of the baton’s epic journey and highlight the aspect of unifying people through sport.
Says SASCOC CEO, Tubby Reddy: ÔÇ£As a nation we celebrate our 20 years of democracy and we are proud that on the five occasions that South Africa has competed at the Commonwealth Games since democracy, amongst all African countries we have retained the first position in the medal tally except in 1994.
ÔÇ£We therefore welcome the QBR to South Africa and we hope it will educate our citizens on the value of sport, which is to unite the people and build the community.ÔÇØ