Think he & the tennisparalympics did ok on their trip 'Down Under'. He lost in his 'Robin' round 7/6-7/6, and took the 1st set in the final. Evans and Kg Montjane both did ok too. Good luck in their next tounaments ... they deserve all credit. JPC
- It’s 50 medals for SA at African Championships
- Top-ranked Williams does the double
- Championship records for Brown and relay team
- Gobel grabs share of the lead at Kyalami
- Interim coach Ellis looks to take Banyana even further
- Opening round of 70 puts Williams in front
- Big medal haul for SA at Junior Commonwealth Games
- Successful comeback from injury as Anel grabs fourth
- Dednam duo win 10th SA doubles title
- Corbett leads the way as SA tally grows to 35
Paralympian Sithole beaten in Aussie Open final
- Updated: January 26, 2014
South Africa’s 2012 London Paralympian, Lucas Sithole came up short in the final of Saturday’s quad wheelchair singles at the Australian Open.
Sithole, who has won two tournament titles already this year,┬á came up against top seed and world No 1 David Wagner of America in the final.
Despite claiming the first set 6-3,┬áSithole was unable to keep up with the rejuvenated American in the final two sets. Wagner won the second and third set 7-5 and 6-3 respectively to claim the honours.
Sithole defeated Wagner 3-6, 6-4, 6-4 to clinch the US Open title in 2013, the first time a South African para-tennis player has won a grand slam title.