Think he & the tennisparalympics did ok on their trip 'Down Under'. He lost in his 'Robin' round 7/6-7/6, and took the 1st set in the final. Evans and Kg Montjane both did ok too. Good luck in their next tounaments ... they deserve all credit. JPC
- Stapleton flies flag for SA in India
- Judoka ready to get to grips for Team SA
- SA’s six Games boxers ready to take to the ring
- SA duo up for prestigious world awards
- SA youngsters aim for a repeat of 2014
- Health issues as South Africa play catch-up in India
- Team SA head off to Angola on Region 5 Games mission
- Mthembu puts SA back on podium… after 23 years!
- Reverse strategy puts Waschefort in front
- Debut Hawaii win for Jordy Smith
Paralympian Sithole beaten in Aussie Open final
- Updated: January 26, 2014
South Africa’s 2012 London Paralympian, Lucas Sithole came up short in the final of Saturday’s quad wheelchair singles at the Australian Open.
Sithole, who has won two tournament titles already this year,┬á came up against top seed and world No 1 David Wagner of America in the final.
Despite claiming the first set 6-3,┬áSithole was unable to keep up with the rejuvenated American in the final two sets. Wagner won the second and third set 7-5 and 6-3 respectively to claim the honours.
Sithole defeated Wagner 3-6, 6-4, 6-4 to clinch the US Open title in 2013, the first time a South African para-tennis player has won a grand slam title.