- Ellis: ‘We never gave up and kept playing and fighting’
- Garlicki keen to get going on home turf
- Blitzbok speedsters gearing up for Wellington action
- Banyana go down 2-0 to France in Reunion
- Birkett and Solms wrap up Drak Challenge wins
- Park posts her maiden Sunshine Tour victory
- White-hot racing as McGregor, Solms lead Drak
- Ellis urges Banyana players to show off their talents
- Mokoka makes Marathon Majors debut in Tokyo
- Park’s 68 puts her two shots clear at SA Masters
Mother City hosts 11 women’s hockey Tests
- Updated: January 17, 2014
Cape Town is set for a bumper crop of top-quality Test matches over the next two weeks days when the Mother City features the exciting Investec South Africa women’s hockey squad against out-and-out world number one nation The Netherlands, as well as the highly impressive Australia and Belgium line-ups in the Hartleyvale Summer Series.
The series starts on Saturday and ends on 3 February. The stylish Hartleyvale Hockey Stadium in Observatory is the home of all 11 international encounters with SA facing the Dutch in two Tests, Australia in three and then Belgium in six matches.
With the World Cup in The Hague, Netherlands beginning at the end of May, Investec SA head coach Giles Bonnet has an ideal chance to put his group to the test in 11 intense matches while the stay in Cape Town also serves up the opportunity for the extended squad to train together under the coaching staff as well.
Bonnet, a former SA men’s captain and head coach, named the following players for the Tests against The Netherlands and Australia: Marcelle Keet, Quanita Bobbs, Kelly Madsen, Sulette Damons, Bernie Coston, Marsha Cox (pictured right), Pietie Coetzee, Shelley Russell, Tarryn Bright, Lilian du Plessis, Kathleen Taylor, Phume Mbande, Hanli Hattingh, Illse Davids, Celia Evans, Lisa Deetlefs, Dirkie Chamberlain, Erin Hunter, Sammy Prost and Anelle van Deventer.
Additional squad members training in Cape Town and contenders for Belgium series EW: Toni Marks, Kaila Flemming, Tarryn Glasby, Luch├® Klaasen, Nicolene Terblanche and Lenise Marais.
Bonnet said players who would be joining the group for a still-to-be-announced Test series in Johannesburg next month are: Carmen Smith, Christine Roos, Tanya Brits, Candice Manuel, Izelle Lategan, and Jade Mayne.
Injured and not considered for the summer matches is goalkeeper Sanani Mangisa.
FIXTURES ÔÇ¿(all at Hartleyvale)
Vs The Netherlands: Saturday 18th (4pm); Monday 20th (7pm)
Vs Australia: Wednesday 22nd (7pm); Friday 24th (7pm); Saturday 25th (4pm)
Vs Belgium: Sunday 26th (4pm); Tuesday 28th (8pm); Wednesday 29th (7pm); Friday 31st (7pm)
Vs Belgium: Sunday 2nd (4 pm); Monday 3rd (7 pm)
* A Tuffy Western Province Invitation men’s team will play highly regarded Dutch Hoofdklasse side Amsterdam HC on January 28 and 30 at 6 pm and 7 pm respectively.