- Amajita fine-tune World Cup preparations in Netherlands
- Haig celebrates comeback with fourth IGT Tour victory
- Sixth-time lucky as Van Rensburg finally savours SA title
- Is mighty Manyonga the world’s first nine-metre man?
- Mistry tames the nerves to nail victory at Wanderers
- SA boys bring back Nations Cup gold from Czech Republic
- Van Dyk fourth and motivated after exciting mass finish in London
- Olympic rowers for Arnold Classic Africa
- Haig hits comeback trail with a vengeance at Killarney
- Mabulu grabs bronze, kata team wins three medals in Madagascar
SASCOC welcome boxing legend Mayweather
- Updated: January 16, 2014
The South African Sports Confederation and Olympic Committee (SASCOC) has welcomed to Olympic House, Floyd Mayweather, the renowned and undefeated American boxing champion, who arrived in South Africa on a tour of goodwill on Wednesday.
Mayweather’s visit comes after a successful National Boxing Indaba, which was hosted by SRSA in 2013 and falls within the overall strategy aimed at the mainstreaming of boxing in South Africa.┬áMayweather’s visit is designed around the theme ÔÇ£Reawakening the giantÔÇØ, that goes in line with the all-embracing objective of the Boxing Indaba, which included the resuscitation of boxing in South Africa and the creation of an enabling platform for South African boxing to once more thrive and dominate the world.
Pictured right, SASCOC President Gideon Sam and Sports Minister Fikile Mbalula pose with Mayweather at Olympic House. Picture: Wessel Oosthuizen
Says SASCOC President, Gideon Sam: ÔÇ£A visit from a truly global fight icon, like Floyd Mayweather, is right on the money in terms of rejuvenating our sport and awakening the sleeping boxing giant in South Africa.
“The timing of his visit could not have been better as it slots perfectly into the resolutions of last year’s important Boxing Indaba and the implementation process.
“I have no doubt that those privileged to be in the areas that Mr Mayweather visits will be abuzz with excitement and eager to soak up his experience and tips to promoters, trainers and coaches.ÔÇØ
SASCOC CEO, Tubby Reddy adds, ÔÇ£We welcome Mayweather to our country and we are fortunate to have a renowned boxing champion visit our nation and interact with our athletes. We hope the excellence Mayweather has shown in the sport of boxing will encourage and motivate our boxers to aim higher and excel at international level.
ÔÇ£Well done to Sports and Recreation South Africa on all your efforts in making this visit possible and we hope it is of immense benefit to South African boxing and sport as a whole.ÔÇØ
On his tour, Mayweather will conduct motivational talks with amateur and professional boxers, interact with and inspire our local promoters and further engage with the corporate sector to mobilise funds to support South African Boxing.