- Coetzee hangs in for share of the Pro-Am lead
- Garcia getting closer to another Tour title
- Toughest Dusi in years but Birkett and Solms triumph
- Zoonekynd eases into finals at Baku World Cup
- Solid Ahlers leads by two at Fancourt
- Garcia, Park lead as defending champ Pace lurks
- SA win three medals on day one of African Championships
- Former stars Radebe and McCarthy help find new Bafana coach
- SA’s Ahlers one shot off as Canter leads on Outeniqua
- Birkett and Solms blast into lead as Dusi gets under way
SASCOC welcomes the renowned boxing champion, Mayweather to SA
- Updated: January 15, 2014
The South African Sports Confederation and Olympic Committee (SASCOC) welcomed to Olympic House, Floyd Mayweather, a renowned and undefeated American boxing champion who arrived in South Africa on a tour of goodwill.
Mayweathers visit comes after a successful National Boxing Indaba, which was hosted by SRSA in 2013 and falls within the overall strategy aimed at the mainstreaming of boxing in South Africa.┬á Mayweathers visit is designed around the theme Reawakening the giant, that goes in line with the all-embracing objective of the Boxing Indaba, which included the resuscitation of boxing in South Africa and the creation of an enabling platform for South African boxing to once more thrive and dominate the world.
Says SASCOC President, Gideon Sam: A visit from a truly global fight icon, like Floyd Mayweather, is right on the money in terms of rejuvenating our sport and awakening the sleeping boxing giant in South Africa.
The timing of his visit could not have been better as it slots perfectly into the resolutions of last year’s important Boxing Indaba and the implementation process.
I have no doubt that those privileged to be in the areas that Mr Mayweather visits will be abuzz with excitement and eager to soak up his experience and tips to promoters, trainers and coaches.
SASCOC CEO, Tubby Reddy adds, We welcome Mayweather to our country and we are fortunate to have a renowned boxing champion visit our nation and interact with our athletes. We hope the excellence Mayweather has shown in the sport of boxing will encourage and motivate our boxers to aim higher and excel at international level.
Well done to Sports and Recreation South Africa on all your efforts in making this visit possible and hope it is of immense benefit to South African boxing and sport as a whole.
On his tour, Mayweather will conduct motivational talks with amateur and professional boxers, interact with and inspire our local promoters and further engage with the corporate sector to mobilize funds to support South African Boxing.