- Buhai ends with a birdie to grab Glendower lead
- Amajita win warm-up match before U20 AFCON
- Levey ends 10-month drought to win at Randpark
- Porteous back to defend at Joburg Open after tough year
- Two more medals as SA finish with five in Egypt
- Mayo grabs his chance at SA Amateur Championship
- Nyambi soaking up the ins and outs of the golfing world
- Frechou out to end Harmse’s hammer reign
- Rain wins at Glendower and forces early Sunshine start
- Mokoena and Roto shine at home and abroad
SAFA confirms need for player balancing act
- Updated: December 27, 2013
The South African Football Association (SAFA) has reiterated the agreement reached during the International Affairs Committee meeting which resolved the issue of player release for the CHAN tournament.
The meeting which took place on 23 December, and agreed to a caucus break for SAFA President and members Irvin Khoza, Kaizer Motaung and Patrice Motsepe (who joined on the tele-conference), re-affirmed the importance of balancing the need to have a strong team for CHAN 2014 while allowing some PSL games to be played during this period.
This meeting agreed that the match between Mamelodi Sundowns and Kaizer Chiefs scheduled for 28 January, 2014 be brought forward to 23 January 2014, which is a rest period between the last round and quarter-finals of the CHAN tournament.
This decision was reported to all members who endorsed it as the final decision of the Committee.
The above mentioned parties agreed that playing this match in January will alleviate the congestion for Kaizer Chiefs who are scheduled to take part in the CAF Champions League later in the season.
The Committee expresses its gratitude to the League and the affected teams for their positive consideration of the matter.
ÔÇ£The meeting was cordial and was held in the pursuit of the best interest of football and the country. I want to thank Irvin Khoza, Kaizer Motaung and Patrice Motsepe for their cooperation to ensure that South Africa’s best interest is served, said SAFA President, Dr Danny Jordaan.
ÔÇ£This decision was conveyed to coach Gordon Igesund with the instruction to finalise his team selection,ÔÇØ said SAFA President, Dr Danny Jordaan.