- Banyana replacements named for France friendly
- Local caddie bags big bonus after Storm’s win
- Storm stays calm as he holds off McIlroy to win SA Open
- Productive camp for Banyana ahead of French clash
- Storm hits last round of SA Open with three-stroke lead
- SA athletics already have Tokyo 2020 on their mind
- Storm leads suspended Open as McIlroy suffers setback
- Western Cape gears up for national championships
- Horne and Fisher upstage world No2 at SA Open
- Selepe set to make history at Davis Cup tie
Basetsana win sets up crucial clash against Nigeria
- Updated: December 24, 2013
Basetsana ran rings around their Tanzanian counterparts pounding them 5-0 to complete a 9-1 aggregate win in an exciting World Cup qualifying match played at Dobsonville Stadium at the weekend.
On a sun-drenched day, the girls coached by Sheryl Botes were on another planet, subjecting their opponents to a torrid afternoon.
The massive win set up a grudge match against rivals Nigeria to confirm who goes to the World Cup in Canada next year.
Regular scorer, Kaylin Swart set the ball rolling when she found the net through a penalty in the 19th minute before Mosili Makhoali made it 2-0 in the 32nd.
With many thinking Basetsana would take their foot off the pedal in the second half, Shiwe Nogwanya slammed home the third soon after resumption before two late goals from Meagan Newman and substitute Nomvula┬á Kgoale completed a miserable day for the East Africans.
Though Tanzania had all but lost the encounter in the first leg in Dar es Salaam two weeks ago when┬á they conceded four goals in their backyard, for a team that demolished Mozambique in the first round, a lot was expected of them.
However, Basetsana were just too good on the day and with a bit of some luck could have scored a couple more goals.
ÔÇ£This was a great win and I am happy the girls are beginning to believe in themselves. We are still on track to qualify for the World Cup but we need to take one game at a time,ÔÇØ said coach Sheryl Botes.
ÔÇ£For now, we need to celebrate this is part of the journey knowing we are still to cross the line.ÔÇØ