- Blitzboks blast past Kiwis to reach Dubai semi-finals
- Van Niekerk pays tribute to triumphant Bolt
- Banyana dominate but go down to Ghana in playoff
- Blitzboks bag three wins in Dubai
- International honours for Olympic coach Barrow
- Hall of Fame honours for SA legend Sally Little
- Blitzboks off to a great start with Ugandan whitewash
- Banyana going all out to bag bronze in Cameroon
- Powell opts for experience at Dubai Sevens
- First IGT Tour win for Arnoldi at Centurion
Ashleigh, Monique are queens of the continent
- Updated: December 5, 2013
Olympian Ashleigh Moolman-Pasio and junior cyclist Monique Gerber were crowned African Continental Champions in the elite and junior women’s road races in Sharm El Sheik, Egypt, on Wednesday.
Moolman-Pasio, who races for the Lotto Belisol Ladies team whilst in Europe, added the continental title to her list of accolades this year in the 93-kilometre race. The finish was close with Moolman-Pasio, Vera Adrian from Namibia (silver), and Wehazit Kidane from Eritrea (bronze) all recording the same finish time of 1hr 53min 24sec. An-Li Kachelhoffer finished in fourth place, missing the podium by 33 seconds.
Junior cyclist Gerber crossed the finish line in first place ahead of Ebtesam Zayed Ahmed (Egypt) and teammate Mikayla Oliver, who claimed a bronze medal, in a time of 56:21. The junior women raced 63km and compatriots Heidi Dalton and Andri Coetzee finished in fourth and seventh places respectively, recording the same finish time as Gerber.
In the Junior Men’s race, Ivan Venter, who races in the Nuwater team at home, claimed a bronze medal in the 93km race, recording the same finish time as the race winner.
Moroccan Abderrahim Zahiri took the Championship title in 1:33:03, with Abderrahmane Mansouri (Algeria) in second place. Venter’s compatriot, Morne van Niekerk finished within the same time in sixth place, with Nickolas Dlamini finishing 10th, three seconds off the pace while Jandrich Kotze finished in 17th place.
The Elite/Under-23 men’s road race takes place on Friday.