- Coetzee hangs in for share of the Pro-Am lead
- Garcia getting closer to another Tour title
- Toughest Dusi in years but Birkett and Solms triumph
- Zoonekynd eases into finals at Baku World Cup
- Solid Ahlers leads by two at Fancourt
- Garcia, Park lead as defending champ Pace lurks
- SA win three medals on day one of African Championships
- Former stars Radebe and McCarthy help find new Bafana coach
- SA’s Ahlers one shot off as Canter leads on Outeniqua
- Birkett and Solms blast into lead as Dusi gets under way
More medals for SA as Smit and Nel shine in Egypt
- Updated: December 3, 2013
National team members Willie Smit and JC Nel claimed four medals in the Elite/Under-23 Individual Time Trial, which took place on Tuesday in Sharm El Sheik, Egypt, as part of the 2013 African Continental Championships.
The two Under-23 riders claimed their medals from their overall results in the Elite category, as well as their Under-23 race results. Only two riders per country were permitted to compete in the ITT event.
Twenty one-year-old Smit, (in the centre of the picture) who races for Team Bonitas at home, fell just 32 seconds short of catching overall winner and Elite cyclist Daniel Teklehaimanot (25) from Eritrea.
Teklehaimanot posted a winning time of 54 minutes and 30 seconds on the 42 kilometre course. Smit’s second place overall earned him a silver medal, as well as a gold medal for winning the under-23 category.
Nel (22) and pictured left, from the UCI World Cycling Centre Africa/MTN-Qhubeka Feeder Team, finished third overall, 1:09┬á off the pace, and claimed a bronze medal in the overall category and a silver medal in the Under-23 category.
The medal tally for Team South Africa now stands at six gold, four silver and two bronze.
The women will continue with their competition from Wednesday when the road racing commences for the junior and Elite categories.