- Kruger best-placed SA player as Peterson leads in the wet
- High praise for SAFA from FIFA president Infantino
- Park wins play-off in Classic duel against Dlamini
- Buhai ends with a birdie to grab Glendower lead
- Amajita win warm-up match before U20 AFCON
- Levey ends 10-month drought to win at Randpark
- Porteous back to defend at Joburg Open after tough year
- Two more medals as SA finish with five in Egypt
- Mayo grabs his chance at SA Amateur Championship
- Nyambi soaking up the ins and outs of the golfing world
SA to host Monaco in Davis Cup action
- Updated: November 28, 2013
South Africa will face Monaco at the Irene Country Club in their Davis Cup Euro/Africa Group II tie from 31 January to 2 February, Tennis SA (TSA) announced on Wednesday.
“This is a fantastic event at a fantastic venue,” said TSA president Bongani Zondi. “The Davis Cup is one of the most prestigious events on the tennis calendar and is vital for the growth of the sport in South Africa.
“To be able to hold this event in a superb facility of this nature only adds to its stature.”
The two nations have played each other twice before in 1967 and 2008 with South Africa winning on both occasions. However, the previous ties have been staged in Monte Carlo and this will be the first time they meet in South Africa.
The competing countries are expected to name their sides for the tie early in the New Year.
According to Davis Cup rules, both teams have the right to name their squads up until 10 days before the start of the tie. The games will be played on a hard court with seats for 700 spectators.
“We will make sure the tie is one to remember and becomes a must-visit stop on the SA tennis calendar,” Irene Country Club Tennis chairman Craig Herbst said.