- Junior Bok star Davids gets Blitzboks call-up
- Captain Terblanche ready to rock the Summer Series
- Bregman: SA Women’s Masters is anyone’s to win
- Top-ranked Klaasen named in Davis Cup squad
- Henderson hunts Dusi Marathon history
- Conradie hunts win to even up brotherly battle
- Mgcoyi: Banyana have to bury their chances against France
- Le Roux changes age group in victorious fashion
- Newly-wed Buhai keen to get back into the swing of things
- More honours for Mona as she takes gold in Texas
SA to host Monaco in Davis Cup action
- Updated: November 28, 2013
South Africa will face Monaco at the Irene Country Club in their Davis Cup Euro/Africa Group II tie from 31 January to 2 February, Tennis SA (TSA) announced on Wednesday.
“This is a fantastic event at a fantastic venue,” said TSA president Bongani Zondi. “The Davis Cup is one of the most prestigious events on the tennis calendar and is vital for the growth of the sport in South Africa.
“To be able to hold this event in a superb facility of this nature only adds to its stature.”
The two nations have played each other twice before in 1967 and 2008 with South Africa winning on both occasions. However, the previous ties have been staged in Monte Carlo and this will be the first time they meet in South Africa.
The competing countries are expected to name their sides for the tie early in the New Year.
According to Davis Cup rules, both teams have the right to name their squads up until 10 days before the start of the tie. The games will be played on a hard court with seats for 700 spectators.
“We will make sure the tie is one to remember and becomes a must-visit stop on the SA tennis calendar,” Irene Country Club Tennis chairman Craig Herbst said.