- Bezuidenhout, Smit off to flyer at Better Ball Challenge
- Thousands of women prepare for running Challenge
- SA’s team named to do Fed Cup duty in Lithuania
- Hawtrey’s passing a big loss for SA cycling
- Nienaber back with a bang, targets another Nomads title
- Seboko best of the bunch in uphill battle in Uganda
- Davids doubles up in Summer Series
- Elkington eclipses opposition at Loch Ness
- Hurdler Steenkamp winding up for a big one
- Olympic champion’s Epic win, big-hearted women’s triumph
SA to host Monaco in Davis Cup action
- Updated: November 28, 2013
South Africa will face Monaco at the Irene Country Club in their Davis Cup Euro/Africa Group II tie from 31 January to 2 February, Tennis SA (TSA) announced on Wednesday.
“This is a fantastic event at a fantastic venue,” said TSA president Bongani Zondi. “The Davis Cup is one of the most prestigious events on the tennis calendar and is vital for the growth of the sport in South Africa.
“To be able to hold this event in a superb facility of this nature only adds to its stature.”
The two nations have played each other twice before in 1967 and 2008 with South Africa winning on both occasions. However, the previous ties have been staged in Monte Carlo and this will be the first time they meet in South Africa.
The competing countries are expected to name their sides for the tie early in the New Year.
According to Davis Cup rules, both teams have the right to name their squads up until 10 days before the start of the tie. The games will be played on a hard court with seats for 700 spectators.
“We will make sure the tie is one to remember and becomes a must-visit stop on the SA tennis calendar,” Irene Country Club Tennis chairman Craig Herbst said.