- Coetzee hangs in for share of the Pro-Am lead
- Garcia getting closer to another Tour title
- Toughest Dusi in years but Birkett and Solms triumph
- Zoonekynd eases into finals at Baku World Cup
- Solid Ahlers leads by two at Fancourt
- Garcia, Park lead as defending champ Pace lurks
- SA win three medals on day one of African Championships
- Former stars Radebe and McCarthy help find new Bafana coach
- SA’s Ahlers one shot off as Canter leads on Outeniqua
- Birkett and Solms blast into lead as Dusi gets under way
Youngsters De Beer and Shange take gold in Tunisia
- Updated: November 24, 2013
The South African team have grabbed another three medals at the African Sprint Canoe Championships under way on a blustery Lake Tunis, with schoolgirls Kayla de Beer and Nokhaya Shange the toast of the team after a gutsy victory in their 500m K2 final.
In that outing she battled in the strong gusting winds and fell out of her kayak. While this robbed her of her shot at another medal, it served to galvanise her and Shange for their K2 final, which they dominated from the gun.
Earlier in the day Pietermaritzburg racer Brittany Petersen locked antlers with Tunisian Olympian Abir Ben Isamail in the women’s 500m K1 final, which the local paddler won in tricky windy conditions, leaving Petersen to add a silver medal to team SA’s medal haul.
Another silver was added in the women’s k2 final when Nombuso Mzolo and Melanie van Niekerk stroked to second place in their final behind the local sister Afef and Abir ben Isamail.
The focus now shifts to the mens and boy’s finals where Cape racers Luke Stowman and Joseph Williams raced convincingly into the 200m K2 final, and Martin van den Bergh did the same in the K1 200m heats.
Junior Women’s K2 500m Final
1 Kayla de Beer/Nokhaya Shange (RSA) 2min 11.724sec
2 Mennatalla Hassan Ali/Sama Farouk Ibrahim (EGY) 2:14.827
3 Rahma Ben Chaabene/Rania Znati (TUN) 2:18.010
Women’s K1 500m Final
1 Abir Ben Isamail (TUN) 2:03.921
2 Brittany Petersen (RSA) 2:08.737
3 Kathia Bra (SEN) 2:15.312
Women’s K2 500m Final
1 Abir Ben Isamail/Afef Ben Isamail (TUN) 1:59.789
2 Melanie van Niekerk/Nombuso Mzolo (RSA) 2:13.289
3 Kathia Bra/ Seck Combe (SEN) 2:17.624