- Debut Hawaii win for Jordy Smith
- Blitzboks skipper calls for improvement on home soil
- Runaway Test win for South Africa in India
- Olympian Stone pounces at Leopard Creek
- SA team extend lead in Indian Test
- Blitzboks blast past Kiwis to reach Dubai semi-finals
- Van Niekerk pays tribute to triumphant Bolt
- Banyana dominate but go down to Ghana in playoff
- Blitzboks bag three wins in Dubai
- International honours for Olympic coach Barrow
CSA look to the future at African Championships
- Updated: November 9, 2013
Cycling South Africa have announced a squad of 17 riders to contest the 2013 African Continental Road Championships, which takes place in Sharm Al Sheikh, Egypt, from 29 November to 5 December 2013.
The riders will compete in all the road cycling disciplines during the prestigious Championship event, these being the Team Time Trial, Individual Time Trial and the road races.
Team members from South Africa’s first Pro-Continental team, Team MTN-Qhubeka, will not be able to participate in the African Continental Championships due to off-season training commitments.
And South African cycling stars Daryl Impey, who races for the Pro Team Orica GreenEDGE, and Reinardt Janse van Rensburg, who races for the Pro Team Argos Shimano, will also not be able to represent their country due to prior commitments.
The team thus has a strong focus on nurturing the under-23 and junior categories.
Cycling SA’s Road Commission also approached SA veteran and Tour de France stage winner Robbie Hunter to occupy the Management position, but he too has prior commitments and is unable to attend.
The full squad to travel to Egypt is:
Elite Men: Clint Hendricks, Herman Fouche, Reynard Butler, Ryan Gibbons
Under-23: Calvin Beneke, Jade Julius, Willie Smit, HB Kruger
Junior Men: Ivan Venter, Jandrich Kotze, Morne van Niekerk, Nicholas Dlamini
Elite Women: Ashleigh Moolman-Pasio, An-Li Kachelhoffer, Heidi Dalton
Reserve:┬á Oupa Maluleki
Hendrik Wagener ÔÇô Men’s Manager
Anien Volschenk ÔÇô Women’s Manager