- Stapleton flies flag for SA in India
- Judoka ready to get to grips for Team SA
- SA’s six Games boxers ready to take to the ring
- SA duo up for prestigious world awards
- SA youngsters aim for a repeat of 2014
- Health issues as South Africa play catch-up in India
- Team SA head off to Angola on Region 5 Games mission
- Mthembu puts SA back on podium… after 23 years!
- Reverse strategy puts Waschefort in front
- Debut Hawaii win for Jordy Smith
Wheelchair basketballers go for gold in Angola
- Updated: November 2, 2013
Our national wheelchair basketballers are guaranteed a medal in the IWBF Africa Qualifying tournament in Angola, writes Mark Etheridge.
The young, new-look side bounced back after a run of miss-fortune caused by a stomach bug and beat Egypt 73-54 in the semi-final on Friday.
That victory saw South Africa achieving its seventh consecutive spot in the final since the inception of the tournament.
Coach Franck Belen’s men were clinical and disciplined in their play and have now beaten the north African side twice in the space of a week, winning their pool game 48-45 earlier in the week.
The South Africans will now play log-leaders Algeria in the final.
Algeria accounted for Morocco in the other semi-final and will now play South Africa for the coveted place at the next World Championships.