- Hawtrey’s passing a big loss for SA cycling
- Nienaber back with a bang, targets another Nomads title
- Seboko best of the bunch in uphill battle in Uganda
- Davids doubles up in Summer Series
- Elkington eclipses opposition at Loch Ness
- Hurdler Steenkamp winding up for a big one
- Olympic champion’s Epic win, big-hearted women’s triumph
- SA runners in search of elusive medals in Kampala
- Davids does the job on day one of Summer Series
- SA’s Strauss and Knox nail down Epic podium places
Wheelchair basketballers go for gold in Angola
- Updated: November 2, 2013
Our national wheelchair basketballers are guaranteed a medal in the IWBF Africa Qualifying tournament in Angola, writes Mark Etheridge.
The young, new-look side bounced back after a run of miss-fortune caused by a stomach bug and beat Egypt 73-54 in the semi-final on Friday.
That victory saw South Africa achieving its seventh consecutive spot in the final since the inception of the tournament.
Coach Franck Belen’s men were clinical and disciplined in their play and have now beaten the north African side twice in the space of a week, winning their pool game 48-45 earlier in the week.
The South Africans will now play log-leaders Algeria in the final.
Algeria accounted for Morocco in the other semi-final and will now play South Africa for the coveted place at the next World Championships.