- Debut Hawaii win for Jordy Smith
- Blitzboks skipper calls for improvement on home soil
- Runaway Test win for South Africa in India
- Olympian Stone pounces at Leopard Creek
- SA team extend lead in Indian Test
- Blitzboks blast past Kiwis to reach Dubai semi-finals
- Van Niekerk pays tribute to triumphant Bolt
- Banyana dominate but go down to Ghana in playoff
- Blitzboks bag three wins in Dubai
- International honours for Olympic coach Barrow
Continental award for canoeist Bridgitte
- Updated: October 29, 2013
Our Olympic bronze medal-winning canoeist, Bridgitte Hartley has been named African Female Paddler of the year, writes Mark Etheridge.
The announcement was made by the Confederation of African Canoeing (CAC) and the selection committee was made up of Ms Olubunmi Oluode (secretary-general of the Nigeria Canoe Federation), Philip Albert (national coach of the Seychelles Canoe Federation) and Benjamin Boukpeti (Togo’s Olympic slalom medallist).
KwaZulu-Natal’s Hartley was joined in the winner’s box by Mohammed Ali Mrabet of Tunisia (as Male Paddler of the Year), coach Ms Samia Ouertani (Tunisia) and para-canoeist Josemar Andrade of Angola also received a special award.
The awards will be presented at the African Canoe Sprint Championships and Awards Dinner in Tunisia┬á next month.