- SA five burn up the rinks in Europe
- Hamman changes tack and is rewarded with hurdles title
- Mansfield moves on to WP Amateur in confident mood
- February and McDougall take the spoils at Dairy
- Crinums go down again as Fireballs shine
- Hoffman celebrates birthday with Classic victory
- Matriculant Du Toit is joint leader at the Wanderers
- Queen’s Baton Relay gets ever closer to South Africa
- Luvo leaps to another SA record at championships
- Defending champ Telfer well aware of junior threat
Continental award for canoeist Bridgitte
- Updated: October 29, 2013
Our Olympic bronze medal-winning canoeist, Bridgitte Hartley has been named African Female Paddler of the year, writes Mark Etheridge.
The announcement was made by the Confederation of African Canoeing (CAC) and the selection committee was made up of Ms Olubunmi Oluode (secretary-general of the Nigeria Canoe Federation), Philip Albert (national coach of the Seychelles Canoe Federation) and Benjamin Boukpeti (Togo’s Olympic slalom medallist).
KwaZulu-Natal’s Hartley was joined in the winner’s box by Mohammed Ali Mrabet of Tunisia (as Male Paddler of the Year), coach Ms Samia Ouertani (Tunisia) and para-canoeist Josemar Andrade of Angola also received a special award.
The awards will be presented at the African Canoe Sprint Championships and Awards Dinner in Tunisia┬á next month.