- Park posts her maiden Sunshine Tour victory
- White-hot racing as McGregor, Solms lead Drak
- Ellis urges Banyana players to show off their talents
- Mokoka makes Marathon Majors debut in Tokyo
- Park’s 68 puts her two shots clear at SA Masters
- Banyana get right into training regime in Reunion
- Future speedsters strut their stuff at Green Point
- Garcia tames wind to share the lead at SA Women’s Masters
- Skhosana starts his 2017 season in France
- Birkett spearheads big field for Drak Challenge
Nogwana nets three goals for Basetsana
- Updated: October 27, 2013
Basetsana, our national Under-20 women’s football team, kicked off their World Cup campaign on a high on Saturday by defeating neighbouring Botswana 5-2 in the first leg encounter of the FIFA U20 Women’s World Cup played at Molepolole Stadium in Gaberone.
The Basetsana goals came via a hat-trick from Shiwe Nogwana,┬á Kaylin Swart and Mosili Makhaoli.
Basetsana were dealt a major blow after losing two key players in Robyn Moodaly and Alice Khosa before the break to injuries.
It was the home side that took the lead when Refiloe Tholokele took full advantage of the disorganised South African defence to fire a shot that got deflected off a Basetsana player into goal.
The visitors equalised when they were awarded a penalty and captain, Kaylin Swart made no mistake from the spot.
Basetsana came back from the break looking a stronger side and got in front through a goal by enterprising Mosili Makhoali.
It then became a Shiwe Nogwana show as she scored a second half hat-trick that took the fight out of the home side.
Basetsana coach Sheryl Botes said she was excited by the win adding she was looking beyond the second leg against Botswana in a fortnight’s time.
ÔÇ£It was an all-round performance by the girls and we hope to finish the job when Botswana visit us for the second leg,ÔÇØ said an excited Botes.