- Debut Hawaii win for Jordy Smith
- Blitzboks skipper calls for improvement on home soil
- Runaway Test win for South Africa in India
- Olympian Stone pounces at Leopard Creek
- SA team extend lead in Indian Test
- Blitzboks blast past Kiwis to reach Dubai semi-finals
- Van Niekerk pays tribute to triumphant Bolt
- Banyana dominate but go down to Ghana in playoff
- Blitzboks bag three wins in Dubai
- International honours for Olympic coach Barrow
Anderson looks to regain his winning form in Spain
- Updated: October 21, 2013
Kevin Anderson goes into this week’s Valencia Open 500 tournament looking for a turnaround in his recent form, writes Mark Etheridge.
Since undergoing wrist surgery Anderson has lost six of his seven ATP Tour matches, although he has maintained his place among the ATP Tour top 20 rankings.
This week he has a first round draw against Spain’s Roberto Bautista Agut.
And even though Anderson is seeded eighth for this 1.5-million Euro hard-court tournament, he can’t afford to take anything for granted against the wild-card Spaniard.
Agut is ranked 63rd in the world after a career high of 48th earlier this year. It will be the first time that Anderson and Agut have faced off against each other.
Anderson is also in doubles action where he and Israel’s Jonathan Erlich take on fourth seeds, David Marrero and Fernando Verdasco of Spain.
Meanwhile, on a weekend that saw South Africa losing out on their Hopman Cup spot, there was at least some good news for the rainbow nation as young Ruan Roelofse had another doubles victory.
Playing in the ITF Nigeria F1 Futures tournament, he teamed up with Croatia’s Ante Pavic. The duo were seeded first for the tournament and took top honours by beating the all-Croatian pair of Borna Coric and Dino Marcan 7-6 (3) 6-2 in the final.
In women’s action this week Chanel Simmonds is seeded third for the $25,000 ITF tournament in Lagos, Nigeria. There, she’ll take on Rishika Sunkara of India.
Our top-ranked women’s player, Chani Scheepers has moved up two places to 80th on the WTA rankings released on Monday.