- Haig celebrates comeback with fourth IGT Tour victory
- Sixth-time lucky as Van Rensburg finally savours SA title
- Is mighty Manyonga the world’s first nine-metre man?
- Mistry tames the nerves to nail victory at Wanderers
- SA boys bring back Nations Cup gold from Czech Republic
- Van Dyk fourth and motivated after exciting mass finish in London
- Olympic rowers for Arnold Classic Africa
- Haig hits comeback trail with a vengeance at Killarney
- Mabulu grabs bronze, kata team wins three medals in Madagascar
- Cremona pulls out all the stops with best throw on SA soil
Top gymnast returns to South African roots
- Updated: October 14, 2013
South African men’s artistic gymnastics has received a major boost by the arrival of Cameron MacKenzie after spending 10 years in Britain, writes Wessel Oosthuizen.
“Cameron was a member of both the British junior and senior national teams, but decided to return to South Africa after he completed his A-Levels in classical civilisation and sociology at Oxford College,” his coach, Gerhard Ferreira, said.
MacKenzie joined Centurion Gymnastics Centre and will take part in this weekend’s trials for the 2014 African Gymnastics championships which will be sponsored by Algrodex.
“South African men won several medals at the 1998 Commonwealth Games, but this code has since almost disappeared and we are looking forward to the results of the trials,” Gideon Sam, president of SASCOC said.
Mackenzie has won several international events and Ferreira said that Mackenzie’s results at the trials will be compared with the results of the recent world championships to determine where he is ranked in the Commonwealth.
Kirsten Beckett and Claudia Cummins also qualified in the top five on certain apparatus at the 2013 world championshsips, but their results at the trials and at the 2014 African championships will be closely scrutinised.
Rhythmic gymnast, Grace Legoto recently qualified in the first place in the Commonwealth at the Rhythmic gymnastics world championships in the Ukraine.
Picture: Wessel Oosthuizen/SASPA