- Judo brings in Team SA’s first medals of Games
- Footballers get Team SA off to winning start
- Team SA leads the way at Region 5 Games opening ceremony
- Stapleton flies flag for SA in India
- Judoka ready to get to grips for Team SA
- SA’s six Games boxers ready to take to the ring
- SA duo up for prestigious world awards
- SA youngsters aim for a repeat of 2014
- Health issues as South Africa play catch-up in India
- Team SA head off to Angola on Region 5 Games mission
SA wheelchair basketballers face venue change
- Updated: October 11, 2013
A second continental sports event has been disrupted by political instability.
First the siege of the Westlake Mall in Nairobi, Kenya saw the African Cup of Nations hockey tournament being put back by more than a month.
Now the African Men’s Wheelchair Basketball Championships have had to be moved from Egypt to Angola.
The top teams in Africa where scheduled to compete in Egypt but the current political climate has seen an enforced venue change.
The dates for the tournament in Luanda are 24 October-3 November .
South Africa will enter the event as the top-ranked team as well as defending champions, with Nigeria ranked second and Zimbabwe third. Angola, Algeria, Egypt and Morocco will also take part.
The top three finishers from the event will qualify for the 2014 IWBF Wheelchair Basketball World Championships, which will take place from 1-12 July next year in Incheon, South Korea.