- OJ Eagles, Western Warriors rule the Currie Cup roost
- Radebe hoping to realise Tokyo 2020 dream
- Continental track championships wrap up in style
- Young Guns rule the day at Cape Epic
- SA stars on track at continental championships
- ‘Technical session’ brings out the best in Van Rensburg
- Relay quartet speed to second fastest 4×100 time
- SA longboard trio go down in Papua New Guinea
- Sauser/Kulhavy’s win makes up ground at Cape Epic
- Third consecutive NYC Half victory for Van Dyk
SA wheelchair basketballers face venue change
- Updated: October 11, 2013
A second continental sports event has been disrupted by political instability.
First the siege of the Westlake Mall in Nairobi, Kenya saw the African Cup of Nations hockey tournament being put back by more than a month.
Now the African Men’s Wheelchair Basketball Championships have had to be moved from Egypt to Angola.
The top teams in Africa where scheduled to compete in Egypt but the current political climate has seen an enforced venue change.
The dates for the tournament in Luanda are 24 October-3 November .
South Africa will enter the event as the top-ranked team as well as defending champions, with Nigeria ranked second and Zimbabwe third. Angola, Algeria, Egypt and Morocco will also take part.
The top three finishers from the event will qualify for the 2014 IWBF Wheelchair Basketball World Championships, which will take place from 1-12 July next year in Incheon, South Korea.