- Judo brings in Team SA’s first medals of Games
- Footballers get Team SA off to winning start
- Team SA leads the way at Region 5 Games opening ceremony
- Stapleton flies flag for SA in India
- Judoka ready to get to grips for Team SA
- SA’s six Games boxers ready to take to the ring
- SA duo up for prestigious world awards
- SA youngsters aim for a repeat of 2014
- Health issues as South Africa play catch-up in India
- Team SA head off to Angola on Region 5 Games mission
Top seeds through to finals in PE
- Updated: September 26, 2013
Top seeded Mariska Venter and Leon Els moved into their respective finals on the penultimate day of the Airports Company South Africa Eastern Cape Open wheelchair tennis tournament in Port Elizabeth on Wednesday.
Els was uncompromising and unforgiving, disposing of Mayenzeke Gwija 6-2 6-0 in a match that saw him demonstrate his full prowess, firing a warning shot to any contender hoping to depose of him.┬áIn the bottom half of the draw, Patrick Selepe dashed hopes of second seed Frank Ramokatsi reaching his first final. The score was a hard fought 7-6 6-2 to Selepe who will now meet Els in the final.
Venter and Rose van der Meer will continue their rivalry of recent times with yet another meeting in the finals.┬á Van der Meer showed no remorse on court as she┬ádemolished surprise semi-finalist, Lethabo Shai with a 6-0 6-0 score-line.
Venter though, showed the stern stuff she is made of in a scintillating performance against Thando Hlatswayo, winning 6-3 6-4.┬á┬áThe match was characterised by top notch tactical play leaving supporters in awe, and Thando hungry for revenge.