- Hartley’s Dusi build-up gathers pace
- World’s top teams head for SA
- Sunshine Ladies Tour starts fourth season in January
- Weber wins SA’s final gold medal of African Champs
- Tough going in Tongyeong for SA’s Radford
- Double gold for Venter as SA medal count reaches 59
- Winning start for Ellis as Banyana beat Egypt
- Skhosana’s promise to take SA even further forward
- It’s 50 medals for SA at African Championships
- Top-ranked Williams does the double
Top seeds through to finals in PE
- Updated: September 26, 2013
Top seeded Mariska Venter and Leon Els moved into their respective finals on the penultimate day of the Airports Company South Africa Eastern Cape Open wheelchair tennis tournament in Port Elizabeth on Wednesday.
Els was uncompromising and unforgiving, disposing of Mayenzeke Gwija 6-2 6-0 in a match that saw him demonstrate his full prowess, firing a warning shot to any contender hoping to depose of him.┬áIn the bottom half of the draw, Patrick Selepe dashed hopes of second seed Frank Ramokatsi reaching his first final. The score was a hard fought 7-6 6-2 to Selepe who will now meet Els in the final.
Venter and Rose van der Meer will continue their rivalry of recent times with yet another meeting in the finals.┬á Van der Meer showed no remorse on court as she┬ádemolished surprise semi-finalist, Lethabo Shai with a 6-0 6-0 score-line.
Venter though, showed the stern stuff she is made of in a scintillating performance against Thando Hlatswayo, winning 6-3 6-4.┬á┬áThe match was characterised by top notch tactical play leaving supporters in awe, and Thando hungry for revenge.