- Stapleton flies flag for SA in India
- Judoka ready to get to grips for Team SA
- SA’s six Games boxers ready to take to the ring
- SA duo up for prestigious world awards
- SA youngsters aim for a repeat of 2014
- Health issues as South Africa play catch-up in India
- Team SA head off to Angola on Region 5 Games mission
- Mthembu puts SA back on podium… after 23 years!
- Reverse strategy puts Waschefort in front
- Debut Hawaii win for Jordy Smith
SA teams stay home as Cup of Nations is postponed
- Updated: September 25, 2013
The Africa Cup of Nations hockey tournament, due to begin in Nairobi, Kenya this week, has been postponed until further notice.
In a brief media statement on Wednesday, the South African Hockey Association confirmed this. Nairobi has been in the international news since the hostage drama at a major shopping mall a few days ago.
A new tournament date will be arrived at by the African Hockey Federation in consultation with the Kenyan Hockey Union as soon as is possible.
The South Africa men’s hockey team and the Investec South Africa women’s hockey team are the reigning African champions and were due to defend their titles.
The Africa Cup of Nations is also a 2014 Hockey World Cup qualifier tournament. The winners would qualify as the African continent’s representatives at the four-yearly showpiece, due to be held in The Hague, Netherlands in June next year.
Several of the participating Africa Cup countries have been unable to secure permission from their national authorities to travel to Kenya based on assessments of the current situation in Nairobi.