- Championship records for Brown and relay team
- Gobel grabs share of the lead at Kyalami
- Interim coach Ellis looks to take Banyana even further
- Opening round of 70 puts Williams in front
- Big medal haul for SA at Junior Commonwealth Games
- Successful comeback from injury as Anel grabs fourth
- Dednam duo win 10th SA doubles title
- Corbett leads the way as SA tally grows to 35
- Caster, Wayde up for Athletes of the Year award
- Seven more golds for SA at African Championships
Hartley hurtles into final at World Championships
- Updated: August 30, 2013
By Mark Etheridge
London Olympics bronze medallist Bridgitte Hartley is safely through to Saturday’s final of the women’s 500-metre K1 event as the World Sprint Canoe Championships got underway in Duisberg, Germany.
Hartley ended third in the second of five heats, with a time of 1min 55.743sec. The winner of the heat was France’s Sarah Guyot in 1:53.542 from Hungarian Danuta Kozak (1:54.564).
Later in the semi-finals she took second spot in the third of five semi-finals. On this occasion her time was 1:55.697, almost identical to her morning heats. Winner of her semi-final was Kiwi Lisa Carrington in 1:54.301.
Meanwhile, South Africa’s Stu Hogg ended eighth in his heat.
The KwaZulu-Natal para-canoeist clocked 56.006sec for his event, the K1 men’s 200m (LTA). Winner was Germany’s Tom Kierey in 39.682sec from Romania’s Iulian Serban (40.535).
This was Hogg’s first world championships and he’s also South Africa’s first para-canoeist to take part in a world sprint championships.
Before being injured in a car crash, Hogg was a promising canoeist with national representation at Under-18 and Under-23 level.
“Missed making it to semi-finals by one position,” said Hogg later. “Trying to take only the positives from this year and build toward next year. Was a really hard heat and a difficult class for me. Big thanks go to Craig Mustard and James Godden (management) for getting me this far plus all the support from everyone. Keen to really work hard for next year and improve on my weaknesses.”