- Championship records for Brown and relay team
- Gobel grabs share of the lead at Kyalami
- Interim coach Ellis looks to take Banyana even further
- Opening round of 70 puts Williams in front
- Big medal haul for SA at Junior Commonwealth Games
- Successful comeback from injury as Anel grabs fourth
- Dednam duo win 10th SA doubles title
- Corbett leads the way as SA tally grows to 35
- Caster, Wayde up for Athletes of the Year award
- Seven more golds for SA at African Championships
SA paddlers make their mark around the globe
- Updated: August 4, 2013
South African paddlers have made waves around the globe over the weekend, writes Mark Etheridge
Down Under in Perth, Australia Hank McGregor won the grueling Avon Descent two-day river marathon. Not far behind him in fourth place was Darryl Bartho and right behind in fifth was Dusi great Sebonelo “Eric” Zondi in his first trip to the iconic Australian race.
On the other side of the world, In San Francisco, USA, recently crowned ICF surfski champion for 2013 (in Portugal) Sean Rice continued his winning ways by winning the USA Championships.
Following him home Jasper Mocke made it a SA one-two while veteran Oscar Chalupsky came in seventh position.
Still in North America and up north in Canada, Esti van Tonder will be contesting the Under-23 woman’s 500-metre Sprint A Final’s after blasting her way to second in the semi-final.
Back to Europe and in Spain the festive Sella Descent saw another Dusi great Andy Birkett partner Cam Schoeman to an excellent fifth place overall in a hotly contested race.