- Debut Hawaii win for Jordy Smith
- Blitzboks skipper calls for improvement on home soil
- Runaway Test win for South Africa in India
- Olympian Stone pounces at Leopard Creek
- SA team extend lead in Indian Test
- Blitzboks blast past Kiwis to reach Dubai semi-finals
- Van Niekerk pays tribute to triumphant Bolt
- Banyana dominate but go down to Ghana in playoff
- Blitzboks bag three wins in Dubai
- International honours for Olympic coach Barrow
SA paddlers make their mark around the globe
- Updated: August 4, 2013
South African paddlers have made waves around the globe over the weekend, writes Mark Etheridge
Down Under in Perth, Australia Hank McGregor won the grueling Avon Descent two-day river marathon. Not far behind him in fourth place was Darryl Bartho and right behind in fifth was Dusi great Sebonelo “Eric” Zondi in his first trip to the iconic Australian race.
On the other side of the world, In San Francisco, USA, recently crowned ICF surfski champion for 2013 (in Portugal) Sean Rice continued his winning ways by winning the USA Championships.
Following him home Jasper Mocke made it a SA one-two while veteran Oscar Chalupsky came in seventh position.
Still in North America and up north in Canada, Esti van Tonder will be contesting the Under-23 woman’s 500-metre Sprint A Final’s after blasting her way to second in the semi-final.
Back to Europe and in Spain the festive Sella Descent saw another Dusi great Andy Birkett partner Cam Schoeman to an excellent fifth place overall in a hotly contested race.