- Footballers get Team SA off to winning start
- Team SA leads the way at Region 5 Games opening ceremony
- Stapleton flies flag for SA in India
- Judoka ready to get to grips for Team SA
- SA’s six Games boxers ready to take to the ring
- SA duo up for prestigious world awards
- SA youngsters aim for a repeat of 2014
- Health issues as South Africa play catch-up in India
- Team SA head off to Angola on Region 5 Games mission
- Mthembu puts SA back on podium… after 23 years!
Under-21 hockey girls sunk by Spain at World Cup
- Updated: August 3, 2013
The South African Under-21 women’s hockey team went down 3-1 to Spain in the first round of play-off matches for positions five to eight at the Women’s Junior World Cup in M├Ânchengladbach, Germany on Friday.
The outcome sees SA now set to play the USA ÔÇô who lost 4-1 to Australia ÔÇô in the play-off for seventh position on Sunday.
The International Hockey Federation website reports that the first half of the SA versus Spain encounter was fairly evenly matched. The extreme heat helped neither side but Quanita Bobbs set the match alight 12 minutes into the second half (47th) when she opened the scoring for SA from field play.
But SA’s lead lasted six minutes before Spain netted three goals in five minutes to take a 3-1 lead, which also reflected the final scoreline. Marta Bosque bagged a brace within three minutes (53rd and 55th) from open play before Cristina Guinea netted a penalty corner (57th).
Towards the end, SA worked hard to restore parity but it was not to be.
Other results in the top half of the 16-country competition saw 2009 silver medallists Argentina beat England 3-0 in the first semi-final, while defending champs The Netherlands were made to work hard by underdogs India before coming away with a 3-0 win.
The Dutch will play Argentine on Sunday in a repeat of the 2009 gold medal match.