- Championship records for Brown and relay team
- Gobel grabs share of the lead at Kyalami
- Interim coach Ellis looks to take Banyana even further
- Opening round of 70 puts Williams in front
- Big medal haul for SA at Junior Commonwealth Games
- Successful comeback from injury as Anel grabs fourth
- Dednam duo win 10th SA doubles title
- Corbett leads the way as SA tally grows to 35
- Caster, Wayde up for Athletes of the Year award
- Seven more golds for SA at African Championships
Solid sevens power past Uruguay and into semi-finals
- Updated: August 3, 2013
Team South Africa’s sevens side moved through to the semi-finals at the World Games here in Cali, Colombia on Friday… the only quarter-finalists not to concede a point, writes Mark Etheridge.
In action first up, coach Vuyo Zangqa’s men accounted for Uruguay 36-0 after leading 17-0 at halftime.
The Blitzboks were in business just 30 seconds into the game when WJ Strydom went over down the left.
There followed tries by Kyle Brown and Ruwellyn Isbell, both down the right flank.
In the second half the SA side were again on the board within 45 seconds as Seabelo Senatla burst through the Uruguayan defence and ran from inside his own half to dot down under the posts.
The South Americans then lost a player for two minutes after a yellow card offence and Mark Richards took advantage of the extra man to go over and in the last play of the match it was that prolific tryscorer
Senatla again, this time crossing the chalk after breaking free from his own 22m line.