- Boxing’s Mofu looks on the brighter side
- SA Sevens rugby shining on all fronts
- SA netball skipper off to top UK franchise
- World champ Hank aims for fourth Drak Challenge title
- Johnson and Verdi end 2014 on a high note
- Dutch and Czech teams seal volleyball victories in Mangaung
- Blitzboks top standings after another Cup win
- Team SA end Region 5 Games campaign in style
- Unbeaten Blitzboks take on England in Cup quarters
- Swimmers wind up Games campaign after winning 57 medals
Solid sevens power past Uruguay and into semi-finals
- Updated: August 3, 2013
Team South Africa’s sevens side moved through to the semi-finals at the World Games here in Cali, Colombia on Friday… the only quarter-finalists not to concede a point, writes Mark Etheridge.
In action first up, coach Vuyo Zangqa’s men accounted for Uruguay 36-0 after leading 17-0 at halftime.
The Blitzboks were in business just 30 seconds into the game when WJ Strydom went over down the left.
There followed tries by Kyle Brown and Ruwellyn Isbell, both down the right flank.
In the second half the SA side were again on the board within 45 seconds as Seabelo Senatla burst through the Uruguayan defence and ran from inside his own half to dot down under the posts.
The South Americans then lost a player for two minutes after a yellow card offence and Mark Richards took advantage of the extra man to go over and in the last play of the match it was that prolific tryscorer
Senatla again, this time crossing the chalk after breaking free from his own 22m line.