- South Africa remembers fallen sports trio
- Brand and Grant keep SA in contention at World Games
- Chad chasing down overall World Cup title
- South Africa take on Turkey in Davis Cup action
- SA trio in golden form in Tokyo World Cup
- Brand makes sure SA team stay in contention in Peru
- Pretorius and Co set records aplenty at nationals
- Lightfoot, Slattery power through in Portugal
- In-form Pace swings to her second title in 10 days
- February to the fore for SA in Peru
Solid sevens power past Uruguay and into semi-finals
- Updated: August 3, 2013
Team South Africa’s sevens side moved through to the semi-finals at the World Games here in Cali, Colombia on Friday… the only quarter-finalists not to concede a point, writes Mark Etheridge.
In action first up, coach Vuyo Zangqa’s men accounted for Uruguay 36-0 after leading 17-0 at halftime.
The Blitzboks were in business just 30 seconds into the game when WJ Strydom went over down the left.
There followed tries by Kyle Brown and Ruwellyn Isbell, both down the right flank.
In the second half the SA side were again on the board within 45 seconds as Seabelo Senatla burst through the Uruguayan defence and ran from inside his own half to dot down under the posts.
The South Americans then lost a player for two minutes after a yellow card offence and Mark Richards took advantage of the extra man to go over and in the last play of the match it was that prolific tryscorer
Senatla again, this time crossing the chalk after breaking free from his own 22m line.