- Weber wins SA’s final gold medal of African Champs
- Tough going in Tongyeong for SA’s Radford
- Double gold for Venter as SA medal count reaches 59
- Winning start for Ellis as Banyana beat Egypt
- Skhosana’s promise to take SA even further forward
- It’s 50 medals for SA at African Championships
- Top-ranked Williams does the double
- Championship records for Brown and relay team
- Gobel grabs share of the lead at Kyalami
- Interim coach Ellis looks to take Banyana even further
Schoeman, Le Clos into World Champs finals
- Updated: August 3, 2013
Olympic swim stars Roland Schoeman and Chad le Clos shone in their respective semi-finals on the sixth day of the FINA World Championships at the Palau Sant Jordi Swimming Pool in Barcelona on Friday night.
Qualifying for Saturday evening’s final in the 50-metre freestyle, Schoeman swam to his own 2008 African record time of 21.67 to conclude the semi-finals in seventh place.
Le Clos was fast off the block in the 100m butterfly semi-finals, grabbing the second place with a time of 51.52, just 0.04sec behind USA’s Ryan Lochte. The final for the event will be held tomorrow.
Karin Prinsloo’s time of 2:10.04 saw her finish in an overall 10th position in the 200m backstroke semi-finals.
In other results, Trudi Maree finished 32nd in the 50m butterfly morning heats session with a time of 27.40, while Kyna Pereira ended 28th in the 800m freestyle, clocking 8:54.10.
Saturday’s second last day of competition will see Gerhard Zandberg swim the 50m backstroke, Myles Brown the 1500m freestyle, Tara Nicholas the 50m breaststroke and Trudi Maree the 50m freestyle.