- Debut Hawaii win for Jordy Smith
- Blitzboks skipper calls for improvement on home soil
- Runaway Test win for South Africa in India
- Olympian Stone pounces at Leopard Creek
- SA team extend lead in Indian Test
- Blitzboks blast past Kiwis to reach Dubai semi-finals
- Van Niekerk pays tribute to triumphant Bolt
- Banyana dominate but go down to Ghana in playoff
- Blitzboks bag three wins in Dubai
- International honours for Olympic coach Barrow
Schoeman, Le Clos into World Champs finals
- Updated: August 3, 2013
Olympic swim stars Roland Schoeman and Chad le Clos shone in their respective semi-finals on the sixth day of the FINA World Championships at the Palau Sant Jordi Swimming Pool in Barcelona on Friday night.
Qualifying for Saturday evening’s final in the 50-metre freestyle, Schoeman swam to his own 2008 African record time of 21.67 to conclude the semi-finals in seventh place.
Le Clos was fast off the block in the 100m butterfly semi-finals, grabbing the second place with a time of 51.52, just 0.04sec behind USA’s Ryan Lochte. The final for the event will be held tomorrow.
Karin Prinsloo’s time of 2:10.04 saw her finish in an overall 10th position in the 200m backstroke semi-finals.
In other results, Trudi Maree finished 32nd in the 50m butterfly morning heats session with a time of 27.40, while Kyna Pereira ended 28th in the 800m freestyle, clocking 8:54.10.
Saturday’s second last day of competition will see Gerhard Zandberg swim the 50m backstroke, Myles Brown the 1500m freestyle, Tara Nicholas the 50m breaststroke and Trudi Maree the 50m freestyle.