- Debut Hawaii win for Jordy Smith
- Blitzboks skipper calls for improvement on home soil
- Runaway Test win for South Africa in India
- Olympian Stone pounces at Leopard Creek
- SA team extend lead in Indian Test
- Blitzboks blast past Kiwis to reach Dubai semi-finals
- Van Niekerk pays tribute to triumphant Bolt
- Banyana dominate but go down to Ghana in playoff
- Blitzboks bag three wins in Dubai
- International honours for Olympic coach Barrow
SASCOC congratulate medal-winning tug-of-war team
- Updated: July 28, 2013
SASCOC on Sunday expressed great pleasure in Team South Africa’s third World Games medal in Cali, Colombia.
The women’s tug-of-war team pulled their way to the bronze medal when they beat Switzerland 2-0 in the play-off.
“That was incredibly exhilarating to experience,” said SASCOC President Gideon Sam, one of many Team SA members in the close-to-capacity Alberto Len Betancourt Coliseum at the local university.
“This team of women epitomises what we want to see by our South African sports teams! Even when they were up against it they fought back and refused to give in.
“What an amazing spirit at the venue and it was great to see how many of the women’s fellow competitors took time out to support the team. The passionate singing of the Shosholoza song to boost the team’s spirits and the way they responded was a gooseflesh moment.
“Now lets hope that the medal-winning becomes a habit going forward in all the codes.”