- Hartley’s Dusi buildup gathers pace
- World’s top teams head for SA
- Sunshine Ladies Tour starts fourth season in January
- Weber wins SA’s final gold medal of African Champs
- Tough going in Tongyeong for SA’s Radford
- Double gold for Venter as SA medal count reaches 59
- Winning start for Ellis as Banyana beat Egypt
- Skhosana’s promise to take SA even further forward
- It’s 50 medals for SA at African Championships
- Top-ranked Williams does the double
Sam congratulates our bronze medallists in Cali
- Updated: July 28, 2013
SASCOC on Sunday expressed great pleasure in Team South Africa’s third World Games medal.
The women’s tug-of-war team pulled their way to the bronze medal when they beat Switzerland 2-0 in the play-off.
“That was incredibly exhilarating to experience,” said SASCOC President Gideon Sam, one of many Team SA members in the close-to-capacity Alberto Le├│n Betancourt Coliseum at the local university.
“This team of women epitomises what we want to see by our South African sports teams! Even when they were up against it they fought back and refused to give in.
“What an amazing spirit at the venue and it was great to see how many of the women’s fellow competitors took time out to support the team. The passionate singing of the Shosholoza song to boost the team’s spirits and the way they responded was a gooseflesh moment.
“Now lets hope that the medal-winning becomes a habit going forward in all the codes.”