- Footballers get Team SA off to winning start
- Team SA leads the way at Region 5 Games opening ceremony
- Stapleton flies flag for SA in India
- Judoka ready to get to grips for Team SA
- SA’s six Games boxers ready to take to the ring
- SA duo up for prestigious world awards
- SA youngsters aim for a repeat of 2014
- Health issues as South Africa play catch-up in India
- Team SA head off to Angola on Region 5 Games mission
- Mthembu puts SA back on podium… after 23 years!
Paralympians win three silvers for Team SA
- Updated: July 25, 2013
Team South Africa added three more silvers to their medal haul on day five of the IPC Athletics World Championships in Lyon, France on Wednesday, writes Mark Etheridge.
Following Reinhardt Hamman’s gold in the javelin (F38 category) on Tuesday it was Fanie van der Merwe, Dyan Buis and Ilse Hayes to reap the rewards of the hard training they put in at the Stellenbosch base.
The London Paralympians all ended up runners-up in their events and the South African contingent is now one short of double figures at the event.
Van der Merwe ran 23.16 in the T37 200-metre final while Buis clocked 22.85 to also end second in the T38 200m final.
Two-time Paralympian Hayes clocked 12.60 for a season’s best performance as well as silver in the T13 final.
And another 2012 Paralympian, Jonathan Ntutu, ran an African record 10.99 to blast his way into the T13 final.