- Davids doubles up in Summer Series
- Elkington eclipses opposition at Loch Ness
- Hurdler Steenkamp winding up for a big one
- Olympic champion’s Epic win, big-hearted women’s triumph
- SA runners in search of elusive medals in Kampala
- Davids does the job on day one of Summer Series
- SA’s Strauss and Knox nail down Epic podium places
- Freiburghaus doubles up at Randpark
- Olympic champ Schurter moves into Cape Epic lead
- OJ Eagles, Western Warriors rule the Currie Cup roost
Zoonekynd leads SA into World Games campaign
- Updated: July 18, 2013
Gymnast Bianca Zoonekynd has been named as flagbearer for Team South Africa at the 2013 World Games in Cali, Colombia.
Zoonekynd is part of a squad of 39 athletes who will represent the Rainbow Nation at the four-yearly World Games, which start on 25 July and end on 4 August.
The Port Elizabeth based 21-year-old is the only gymnastics representative (tumbling and trampoline) in the team which will battle in nine different sporting codes.
ÔÇ£It is a great honour for Bianca to carry the flag at the opening ceremony of the World Games on 25 July. I believe she will do so with great pride and as a true ambassador of South Africa,ÔÇØ said SASCOC CEO Mr. Tubby Reddy.
SASCOC President Gideon Sam reiterated: ÔÇØBianca will carry the hopes of all our athletes in these Games. I am certain that it will be a moment she will always cherish and may the flag of our great nation inspire all our competitors to do their very best in Colombia.ÔÇØ
The last World Games were held in Kaohsiung City, Taiwan in 2009 where lifesaver Ryan Brennan carried the flag. He went on to win a bronze medal, one of three medals won by Team South Africa.