- Coetzee hangs in for share of the Pro-Am lead
- Garcia getting closer to another Tour title
- Toughest Dusi in years but Birkett and Solms triumph
- Zoonekynd eases into finals at Baku World Cup
- Solid Ahlers leads by two at Fancourt
- Garcia, Park lead as defending champ Pace lurks
- SA win three medals on day one of African Championships
- Former stars Radebe and McCarthy help find new Bafana coach
- SA’s Ahlers one shot off as Canter leads on Outeniqua
- Birkett and Solms blast into lead as Dusi gets under way
Zoonekynd leads SA into World Games campaign
- Updated: July 18, 2013
Gymnast Bianca Zoonekynd has been named as flagbearer for Team South Africa at the 2013 World Games in Cali, Colombia.
Zoonekynd is part of a squad of 39 athletes who will represent the Rainbow Nation at the four-yearly World Games, which start on 25 July and end on 4 August.
The Port Elizabeth based 21-year-old is the only gymnastics representative (tumbling and trampoline) in the team which will battle in nine different sporting codes.
ÔÇ£It is a great honour for Bianca to carry the flag at the opening ceremony of the World Games on 25 July. I believe she will do so with great pride and as a true ambassador of South Africa,ÔÇØ said SASCOC CEO Mr. Tubby Reddy.
SASCOC President Gideon Sam reiterated: ÔÇØBianca will carry the hopes of all our athletes in these Games. I am certain that it will be a moment she will always cherish and may the flag of our great nation inspire all our competitors to do their very best in Colombia.ÔÇØ
The last World Games were held in Kaohsiung City, Taiwan in 2009 where lifesaver Ryan Brennan carried the flag. He went on to win a bronze medal, one of three medals won by Team South Africa.