- Mthembu puts SA back on podium… after 23 years!
- Reverse strategy puts Waschefort in front
- Debut Hawaii win for Jordy Smith
- Blitzboks skipper calls for improvement on home soil
- Runaway Test win for South Africa in India
- Olympian Stone pounces at Leopard Creek
- SA team extend lead in Indian Test
- Blitzboks blast past Kiwis to reach Dubai semi-finals
- Van Niekerk pays tribute to triumphant Bolt
- Banyana dominate but go down to Ghana in playoff
SASCOC condolences to sports family losses
- Updated: July 18, 2013
The South African Sports Confederation and Olympic Committee (SASCOC) express their heartfelt condolences on the passing of one of South Africa’s most talented basketball players, Chris Fynn and Mr Clifford Bird, husband of Mrs Daphne Bird, Swimming SA Competition Manager.
Chris had risen through the ranks in the sport and at a young age, was selected in the senior KwaZulu-Natal Men’s Team and was also chosen as a member of the All Star team as well the National Squad at the 2009 and 2011 Senior Championships.
We are deeply saddened by both Chris and Mr. Birds deaths and as SASCOC we honour their lives and their contributions to sport both directly and indirectly. May their souls rest in peace and we mourn together with their families and friends at this difficult moment.
SASCOC CEO, Tubby Reddy commented: It is disheartening to lose such young talent with great potential in sport in our nation. We are however, thankful for Chris contribution in basketball. We hope this leaves a legacy to the young and aspiring sportsmen to follow suit and nurture their sporting talents, and to a husband and father like Mr. Bird, may your soul rest in peace.