- Amajita play Mali twice in CAF warm-ups
- Fitzpatrick’s road to Tokyo starts in Dubai
- Rookies Conradie and Spacey chase hard at Ruimsig
- ASA launches new four-meeting track and field series
- Ellis: ‘We never gave up and kept playing and fighting’
- Garlicki keen to get going on home turf
- Blitzbok speedsters gearing up for Wellington action
- Banyana go down 2-0 to France in Reunion
- Birkett and Solms wrap up Drak Challenge wins
- Park posts her maiden Sunshine Tour victory
SA paddlers collect 11 medals in Portugal
- Updated: July 18, 2013
Team South Africa paddled their way to top spot on the medals table in the Ocean Racing World Championships in Portugal at the weekend, writes Mark Etheridge.
The International Canoeing Federation accredited event was raced off the coast of Porto and was hosted by the Nelo Boat Manufacturers and the Portuguese Canoe Union.
Over 400 paddlers lined up for a mass start with more than 15 nations chasing the medals.
South Africa won 11 Championships medals in the Senior, Under-23 and Junior (U-18 Divisions) as well as other medals in non-championship events.
One of the more impressive wins came from Sean Rice who won the senior event. He’ll soon team up with 2008 Olympian Shaun Rubenstein in a K2 for the 1000m sprint events.
The South African crews took five gold, three silver and three bronze medals for their total of 11.
1 Sean Rice RSA┬á1hr 30min 6sec
1 Michelle Eray (SA)
2 Michelle Burn (SA)
3 Nikki Mocke (SA)
Junior men (Under-18s)
1 Kenny Rice (SA)
2 Nicholas Notten (SA)
3 Gene Prato (SA)
Junior Girls (Under-18s)
1 Kirsten Flanagan┬á(SA)
Men ÔÇô Under-23
1 Grant van der Walt (SA)
2 Brandon van der Walt (SA)
Women ÔÇô Under-23
3 Bianca Beavitt (SA)