- ‘Technical session’ brings out the best in Van Rensburg
- Relay quartet speed to second fastest 4×100 time
- SA longboard trio go down in Papua New Guinea
- Sauser/Kulhavy’s win makes up ground at Cape Epic
- Third consecutive NYC Half victory for Van Dyk
- Olympian Oosthuizen starts season with top-10 finish
- Track stars shine as riders pay respect to the late Zaki
- Scorching weather shortens Cape Epic stage but the racing’s still hot
- Sullwald, Fischer seal national elite titles in Aldam
- Paralympian Ferreira on the mend and targeting nationals
SA paddlers collect 11 medals in Portugal
- Updated: July 18, 2013
Team South Africa paddled their way to top spot on the medals table in the Ocean Racing World Championships in Portugal at the weekend, writes Mark Etheridge.
The International Canoeing Federation accredited event was raced off the coast of Porto and was hosted by the Nelo Boat Manufacturers and the Portuguese Canoe Union.
Over 400 paddlers lined up for a mass start with more than 15 nations chasing the medals.
South Africa won 11 Championships medals in the Senior, Under-23 and Junior (U-18 Divisions) as well as other medals in non-championship events.
One of the more impressive wins came from Sean Rice who won the senior event. He’ll soon team up with 2008 Olympian Shaun Rubenstein in a K2 for the 1000m sprint events.
The South African crews took five gold, three silver and three bronze medals for their total of 11.
1 Sean Rice RSA┬á1hr 30min 6sec
1 Michelle Eray (SA)
2 Michelle Burn (SA)
3 Nikki Mocke (SA)
Junior men (Under-18s)
1 Kenny Rice (SA)
2 Nicholas Notten (SA)
3 Gene Prato (SA)
Junior Girls (Under-18s)
1 Kirsten Flanagan┬á(SA)
Men ÔÇô Under-23
1 Grant van der Walt (SA)
2 Brandon van der Walt (SA)
Women ÔÇô Under-23
3 Bianca Beavitt (SA)