- Footballers get Team SA off to winning start
- Team SA leads the way at Region 5 Games opening ceremony
- Stapleton flies flag for SA in India
- Judoka ready to get to grips for Team SA
- SA’s six Games boxers ready to take to the ring
- SA duo up for prestigious world awards
- SA youngsters aim for a repeat of 2014
- Health issues as South Africa play catch-up in India
- Team SA head off to Angola on Region 5 Games mission
- Mthembu puts SA back on podium… after 23 years!
SA paddlers collect 11 medals in Portugal
- Updated: July 18, 2013
Team South Africa paddled their way to top spot on the medals table in the Ocean Racing World Championships in Portugal at the weekend, writes Mark Etheridge.
The International Canoeing Federation accredited event was raced off the coast of Porto and was hosted by the Nelo Boat Manufacturers and the Portuguese Canoe Union.
Over 400 paddlers lined up for a mass start with more than 15 nations chasing the medals.
South Africa won 11 Championships medals in the Senior, Under-23 and Junior (U-18 Divisions) as well as other medals in non-championship events.
One of the more impressive wins came from Sean Rice who won the senior event. He’ll soon team up with 2008 Olympian Shaun Rubenstein in a K2 for the 1000m sprint events.
The South African crews took five gold, three silver and three bronze medals for their total of 11.
1 Sean Rice RSA┬á1hr 30min 6sec
1 Michelle Eray (SA)
2 Michelle Burn (SA)
3 Nikki Mocke (SA)
Junior men (Under-18s)
1 Kenny Rice (SA)
2 Nicholas Notten (SA)
3 Gene Prato (SA)
Junior Girls (Under-18s)
1 Kirsten Flanagan┬á(SA)
Men ÔÇô Under-23
1 Grant van der Walt (SA)
2 Brandon van der Walt (SA)
Women ÔÇô Under-23
3 Bianca Beavitt (SA)