- Amajita play Mali twice in CAF warm-ups
- Fitzpatrick’s road to Tokyo starts in Dubai
- Rookies Conradie and Spacey chase hard at Ruimsig
- ASA launches new four-meeting track and field series
- Ellis: ‘We never gave up and kept playing and fighting’
- Garlicki keen to get going on home turf
- Blitzbok speedsters gearing up for Wellington action
- Banyana go down 2-0 to France in Reunion
- Birkett and Solms wrap up Drak Challenge wins
- Park posts her maiden Sunshine Tour victory
Gymnast Bianca named South Africa flagbearer at World Games
- Updated: July 18, 2013
Gymnast Bianca Zoonekynd has been named as flagbearer for Team South Africa at the 2013 World Games in Cali, Colombia.
Zoonekynd is part of a squad of 39 athletes who will represent the Rainbow Nation at the four-yearly World Games, which start on 25 July and end on 4 August.
The Port Elizabeth based 21-year-old is the only gymnastics representative (tumbling and trampoline) in the team which will battle in nine different sporting codes.
“It is a great honour for Bianca to carry the flag at the opening ceremony of the World Games on 25 July. I believe she will do so with great pride and as a true ambassador of South Africa, said SASCOC CEO Mr. Tubby Reddy.
SASCOC President Gideon Sam reiterated, “Bianca will carry the hopes of all our athletes in these Games. I am certain that it will be a moment she will always cherish and may the flag of our great nation inspire all our competitors to do their very best in Colombia.”
The last World Games were held in Kaohsiung City, Taiwan in 2009 where lifesaver Ryan Brennan carried the flag. He went on to win a bronze medal, one of three medals won by Team South Africa.