- OJ Eagles, Western Warriors rule the Currie Cup roost
- Radebe hoping to realise Tokyo 2020 dream
- Continental track championships wrap up in style
- Young Guns rule the day at Cape Epic
- SA stars on track at continental championships
- ‘Technical session’ brings out the best in Van Rensburg
- Relay quartet speed to second fastest 4×100 time
- SA longboard trio go down in Papua New Guinea
- Sauser/Kulhavy’s win makes up ground at Cape Epic
- Third consecutive NYC Half victory for Van Dyk
Scheepers makes semi-finals in Hungary
- Updated: July 16, 2013
Top ranked single player Chani Scheepers reached the semi-finals of the Hungarian Grand Prix event at the weekend, writes Mark Etheridge.
Seeded sixth for the tournament, Scheepers beat Croatia’s Petra Martic and Danka Kovinic of Montenegro to set up a semi-final clash against Austria’s Yvonne Meusburger.
Currently ranked 86th to Scheepers’ 68th, Meusburger won in straight sets, 6-2 6-2.
In an ace-less match, Scheepers racked up six double-faults to her opponent’s three.
The two 29-year-old players were out on the clay-surfaced court for an hour and 10 minutes.
Scheepers reached the semi-finals of the doubles competition at Wimbledon recently, the year’s third grand slam competition.