- Haig celebrates comeback with fourth IGT Tour victory
- Sixth-time lucky as Van Rensburg finally savours SA title
- Is mighty Manyonga the world’s first nine-metre man?
- Mistry tames the nerves to nail victory at Wanderers
- SA boys bring back Nations Cup gold from Czech Republic
- Van Dyk fourth and motivated after exciting mass finish in London
- Olympic rowers for Arnold Classic Africa
- Haig hits comeback trail with a vengeance at Killarney
- Mabulu grabs bronze, kata team wins three medals in Madagascar
- Cremona pulls out all the stops with best throw on SA soil
Scheepers makes semi-finals in Hungary
- Updated: July 16, 2013
Top ranked single player Chani Scheepers reached the semi-finals of the Hungarian Grand Prix event at the weekend, writes Mark Etheridge.
Seeded sixth for the tournament, Scheepers beat Croatia’s Petra Martic and Danka Kovinic of Montenegro to set up a semi-final clash against Austria’s Yvonne Meusburger.
Currently ranked 86th to Scheepers’ 68th, Meusburger won in straight sets, 6-2 6-2.
In an ace-less match, Scheepers racked up six double-faults to her opponent’s three.
The two 29-year-old players were out on the clay-surfaced court for an hour and 10 minutes.
Scheepers reached the semi-finals of the doubles competition at Wimbledon recently, the year’s third grand slam competition.