- Double gold for Venter as SA medal count reaches 59
- Winning start for Ellis as Banyana beat Egypt
- Skhosana’s promise to take SA even further forward
- It’s 50 medals for SA at African Championships
- Top-ranked Williams does the double
- Championship records for Brown and relay team
- Gobel grabs share of the lead at Kyalami
- Interim coach Ellis looks to take Banyana even further
- Opening round of 70 puts Williams in front
- Big medal haul for SA at Junior Commonwealth Games
Scheepers makes semi-finals in Hungary
- Updated: July 16, 2013
Top ranked single player Chani Scheepers reached the semi-finals of the Hungarian Grand Prix event at the weekend, writes Mark Etheridge.
Seeded sixth for the tournament, Scheepers beat Croatia’s Petra Martic and Danka Kovinic of Montenegro to set up a semi-final clash against Austria’s Yvonne Meusburger.
Currently ranked 86th to Scheepers’ 68th, Meusburger won in straight sets, 6-2 6-2.
In an ace-less match, Scheepers racked up six double-faults to her opponent’s three.
The two 29-year-old players were out on the clay-surfaced court for an hour and 10 minutes.
Scheepers reached the semi-finals of the doubles competition at Wimbledon recently, the year’s third grand slam competition.