- Olympian Barrow chooses SA over Australia
- Prinsloo starts 2017 with another payday
- Junior Bok star Davids gets Blitzboks call-up
- Captain Terblanche ready to rock the Summer Series
- Bregman: SA Women’s Masters is anyone’s to win
- Top-ranked Klaasen named in Davis Cup squad
- Henderson hunts Dusi Marathon history
- Conradie hunts win to even up brotherly battle
- Mgcoyi: Banyana have to bury their chances against France
- Le Roux changes age group in victorious fashion
Scheepers makes semi-finals in Hungary
- Updated: July 16, 2013
Top ranked single player Chani Scheepers reached the semi-finals of the Hungarian Grand Prix event at the weekend, writes Mark Etheridge.
Seeded sixth for the tournament, Scheepers beat Croatia’s Petra Martic and Danka Kovinic of Montenegro to set up a semi-final clash against Austria’s Yvonne Meusburger.
Currently ranked 86th to Scheepers’ 68th, Meusburger won in straight sets, 6-2 6-2.
In an ace-less match, Scheepers racked up six double-faults to her opponent’s three.
The two 29-year-old players were out on the clay-surfaced court for an hour and 10 minutes.
Scheepers reached the semi-finals of the doubles competition at Wimbledon recently, the year’s third grand slam competition.