- Mokoena and Roto shine at home and abroad
- Trio of SA divers shine at United States meetings
- Late starter Mabilane goes on to share lead
- Shange takes second in last race Down Under
- Senong names final Amajita squad for Afcon in Zambia
- Sunshine Classic will see the Chase hotting up
- World Cup bronze for SA’s Zoonekynd
- Eagle-birdie finish helps Garcia to Challenge victory
- Olympian Ho and Twichell are Cape Mile champions
- Lawrie wins at Fancourt to grab a prestigous double
Judoka Van Zyl downs Mabulu to win at nationals
- Updated: July 15, 2013
Our two Operation Excellence judoka have justified the faith show in them by SASCOC by making the final at the SA national judo championships in Port Elizabeth, writes Mark Etheridge.
Olympian Jacques van Zyl and Siyabulela Mabulu came through the ranks to meet each other in the final of the Under-73kg division.
Van Zyl had the pressure of preparing for examinations that were coming up after the nationals but kept his head together to claim the title.
“Siyabulela is our other Opex support guy. I threw him ippon in the final,” Van Zyl told Road to Rio 2016. “It went really well, I won all my fights with ippon.
“The semi-final was against Dylan Collins who is also a great player.”
Next up for Van Zyl? “Well I’m now busy with preparations for the World Championships in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil at the end of August, so I’ll hopefully get a taste of what the Olympics in 2016 will be like,” he concluded.