- Park posts her maiden Sunshine Tour victory
- White-hot racing as McGregor, Solms lead Drak
- Ellis urges Banyana players to show off their talents
- Mokoka makes Marathon Majors debut in Tokyo
- Park’s 68 puts her two shots clear at SA Masters
- Banyana get right into training regime in Reunion
- Future speedsters strut their stuff at Green Point
- Garcia tames wind to share the lead at SA Women’s Masters
- Skhosana starts his 2017 season in France
- Birkett spearheads big field for Drak Challenge
Judoka Van Zyl downs Mabulu to win at nationals
- Updated: July 15, 2013
Our two Operation Excellence judoka have justified the faith show in them by SASCOC by making the final at the SA national judo championships in Port Elizabeth, writes Mark Etheridge.
Olympian Jacques van Zyl and Siyabulela Mabulu came through the ranks to meet each other in the final of the Under-73kg division.
Van Zyl had the pressure of preparing for examinations that were coming up after the nationals but kept his head together to claim the title.
“Siyabulela is our other Opex support guy. I threw him ippon in the final,” Van Zyl told Road to Rio 2016. “It went really well, I won all my fights with ippon.
“The semi-final was against Dylan Collins who is also a great player.”
Next up for Van Zyl? “Well I’m now busy with preparations for the World Championships in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil at the end of August, so I’ll hopefully get a taste of what the Olympics in 2016 will be like,” he concluded.