- Judo brings in Team SA’s first medals of Games
- Footballers get Team SA off to winning start
- Team SA leads the way at Region 5 Games opening ceremony
- Stapleton flies flag for SA in India
- Judoka ready to get to grips for Team SA
- SA’s six Games boxers ready to take to the ring
- SA duo up for prestigious world awards
- SA youngsters aim for a repeat of 2014
- Health issues as South Africa play catch-up in India
- Team SA head off to Angola on Region 5 Games mission
Scheepers smoothly into Budapest quarter-finals
- Updated: July 12, 2013
Chani Scheepers’ fine doubles form on the grass courts of Wimbledon last week has carried over to both the clay court and singles realms, writes Mark Etheridge.
Our top-ranked singles player, Scheepers reached the semi-finals of the doubles at Wimbledon after being knocked out in the first round of singles action.
This week she’s in Budapest for the Hungarian Grand Prix and on Thursday went through to the quarter-finals.
Seeded sixth for the $235,000 tournament, she beat Croatia’s Petra Martic in straight sets, 7-5 6-4.
She needed an hour and 43 minutes to down Martic, currently seeded 109th in the world to her own 69th.
Despite being out-aced to the tune of 5-0, that statistics was neutralised by the fact that Martic served up six double faults.
Next up for the Harrismith born player is a clash with Montenegro’s Danka Ivinivic, who sits down at 183rd on the WTA list.