- Opening round of 70 puts Williams in front
- Big medal haul for SA at Junior Commonwealth Games
- Successful comeback from injury as Anel grabs fourth
- Dednam duo win 10th SA doubles title
- Corbett leads the way as SA tally grows to 35
- Caster, Wayde up for Athletes of the Year award
- Seven more golds for SA at African Championships
- Muizenberg hosts SA’s first Adapative Championships
- SA duo seal silver medals at African Championships
- Harris on the rise after two Futures wins
SA’s Roberts prepares to test fitness in Palamos
- Updated: July 11, 2013
Two-time Olympic triathlete, Kate Roberts lines up for a World Cup in Palamos, Spain this weekend, writes Mark Etheridge.
And she’ll be looking to build on her fine fifth spot in the Yokohama leg of the World Cup series two months ago.
Currently based in France where she’s under the guidance of long-time coach Darren Smith, Roberts has shaken off a spell of sickness after a good start to her training.
“I’ve been training in Morzine for the last month and while things started off well, I got bronchitis and was quite ill for about two weeks,”Roberts told Road to Rio 2016. “I was reluctant to go on antibiotics as I was hoping it was just a cold but after a week, when things went from bad to worse, I realised I needed to see a doctor and was eventually put on a┬á course of antibiotics.”
Things have been coming right slowly since then. “I’m excited to finally be racing again this weekend. I’m just going to give it my best and see where I am because I’m racing the next weekend in Hamburg, a World Triathlon Series.
“I’m really excited to be part of the SA team for the World Team Sprint Champs the day after the World Series race. The team is myself, Gill Sanders, Henri Schoeman and Richard Murray so I reckon we can be highly competitive.”
The Palamos race is one of two World Cup events to be hosted by Spain this season.
After Hamburg Roberts, who ended 22nd at the London Olympics, heads for Hungary. “I’ll race the World Cup in Tiszaujvaros mid-August, and then the World Series race in Stockholm. After that it’s three weeks to the Grand Final in London on 14 September and I’m hoping to be on peak form for that race.”
Roberts will base herself in France until the Grand Final and then take a break after that.