- Double gold for Venter as SA medal count reaches 59
- Winning start for Ellis as Banyana beat Egypt
- Skhosana’s promise to take SA even further forward
- It’s 50 medals for SA at African Championships
- Top-ranked Williams does the double
- Championship records for Brown and relay team
- Gobel grabs share of the lead at Kyalami
- Interim coach Ellis looks to take Banyana even further
- Opening round of 70 puts Williams in front
- Big medal haul for SA at Junior Commonwealth Games
Cremona’s personal best gets him closer to Russia
- Updated: July 9, 2013
By Mark Etheridge
Big Orazio Cremona has taken a giant step closer to qualifying for the IAAF World Athletics Championships in Moscow, Russia next month.
Competing in an international meeting in Donnas, Italy, he heaved the shot a personal best 20.55 metres.
That’s 16 centimetres further than his previous best 20.39 that he threw in Oordegem, Belgium a few weeks back.
The ‘good’ news for the Gauteng athlete is that he wasn’t particularly impressed with his performance. “I didn’t have a good series of throws,” he told Road to Rio 2016 on Tuesday. “I’m not throwing fit because of my ankle. But I knew I had two throws to do it and it would be the third or fourth throw.
“Luckily it was on my third. I didn’t expect it because of my foot but my buddy Victor Hogan threw a personal best of 65m in the discus and so I had to pull it out of the bag!”
Cremona is now awaiting confirmation of his next competition where he’ll be looking to add that extra five centimetres and book his place on the SA team.